Why the war on the holidays needs to end

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! The holiday season is upon us, and while I’m all for wishing people “a happy holiday,” we do need to remember that everyone is entitled to freely practice their own religion in our country. This means that Christians should be allowed to say Merry Christmas or have decorations of baby Jesus without people getting mad for trying to force their religion upon them. This means that Jewish people should be able to decorate with the Menorah and Jewish star, as well as say Happy Hanukkah without people getting offended.

For the most part, during the holiday season, no one is trying to shove their religion down their throat. They are trying to convey their religion. If this means they put up a lot of decorations, have parties or want to go out and teach their various messages, this does not mean that they are trying to be aggressive. They are merely trying to express their religion and their beliefs. It is a right that everyone is entitled to with the freedom of religion that our country guarantees us.

If someone says Merry Christmas to you, this should not be interpreted as an insult. They are merely trying to wish you well during this time of year in a way that is meaningful to them. Same goes for someone saying Happy Hanukah or Happy Holidays. Often, people are quick to react against those who use a greeting that they do not relate to, but it is usually not meant as

an offense.

In most religions, the holiday season is about accepting and loving everyone. Something we need to respect that people will not agree when it comes to religion, but they are all allowed to practice what they believe. We all must remember to love each other and support each other, even if we have different views. 

One final reminder is that it is important to remember that the government or public institutions should not be favoring any religion over others, as they so often do. Freedom of religion exists and promoting one religion over another violates that freedom. We need to always

remember that. 

Have a happy holiday season with your family and friends!

We will see you guys again next

year! Go Tigers!