Top five things you need to know this week: Dec. 4 edition

Annual Holiday Parade to take place this week

The city of Clemson’s 24th annual Holiday Parade will take place on Tuesday, Dec. 5 at 6 p.m. 

The parade begin on Highway 93, traveling down College Avenue and ending at Strode Circle.

The city of Clemson says that at 4:45 p.m. Tuesday, it will close the portion of College Avenue between Keith Street and Highway 93 for pre-parade festivities. When the parade begins at 6 p.m., the road closure will extend to Edgewood Avenue.

City officials are encouraging those who work in the area and will be leaving around that time to leave the area by 5:50 p.m. Otherwise, they will be stuck downtown until the parade is over.

Lighting of the Gardens to take place this week

The annual Lighting of the Gardens will take place on Tuesday, Dec. 5 at 5 p.m. in the Carillon Garden.

In addition to the lighting of the garden’s trees and bushes, the event will feature performances by TakeNote and the Clemson Gospel Choir. There will also be holiday cookies, a hot chocolate bar and photos with Santa Claus. 

The event is sponsored by CUSG, which has partnered with Clemson Hope, a student-led nonprofit dedicated to improving Title 1 schools in the area. Organizers are encouraging attendees to bring school supplies or cash donations to help support students who attend these schools.

The event is free and open to the public. 

Man accused of selling ecstasy to undercover agent in Clemson

A man has been arrested for selling ecstasy to an undercover SLED agent in downtown Clemson. 

According to the Clemson City Police Department, Pierre S. Davis of Seneca sold the ecstasy to the agent during an undercover operation on Oct. 27. Police say Davis fled the scene after resisting arrest. He was taken into custody on Nov. 30 by the SLED Fugitive Task Force.

Davis is charged with Distribution of Ecstasy, Distribution of Ecstasy within Proximity of Clemson University and Resisting Arrest.

He is being held on a $26,000 surety bond at the Pickens County Detention Center. 

Clemson prof’s artwork on display at The Met

Clemson University professor Todd Anderson’s artwork will be on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City through Feb. 5, 2018.

“The Last Glacier” features color woodcuts which form pages in a limited-edition artist book. Anderson collaborated on the work with printmaker Bruce Crownover and Ian van Coller, a professor of photography at Montana State University.  

According to Anderson, only a handful of university professors have had their artwork acquired by The Met.

“We don’t know of anybody – any other pure academic – who has exhibited at The Met while still alive,” Anderson said in a news release.

Clemson named ‘Best Small Sports City’ in U.S.

Clemson has been named the Best Small Sports City in the United States by WalletHub. 

The website compared 420 cities across the U.S. to create the best small, midsize and large sports cities list. They used 50 key metrics ranging from performance level of teams to average ticket price per game. 

Three other Carolinas cities were in the top 15 on the small cities list. Chapel Hill, North Carolina, home to the University of North Carolina, placed third. Cullowhee, North Carolina, home to Western Carolina University, placed seventh. Conway, South Carolina, home to Coastal Carolina University, was no. 13. 

To view the full report, go to https://tinyurl.com/y9qwouug.