What you need to know about the Clemson House demolition

Twenty-four thousand, five hundred and four.

On Sunday, that’s how many days that Clemson House will have been standing. However, the building — which hosted celebrities, students and memories alike — won’t reach 25,000 as it is set to be demolished this weekend.

Here’s what you need to know.

At what time is the demolition taking place?

Clemson House will be demolished on Sunday, Dec. 3 at 8:30 a.m. EST.

How is Clemson House being demolished?

Clemson House will be brought down by a series of small explosions that will pulverize columns on the first, third and fifth floors of the building. The collapse will take less than a minute.

The building has been stripped of material (such as windows, exterior bricks and drywall) to help minimize dust when it comes down. Portable water misters will also be on site to spray the dust cloud and help it dissipate.

What areas around Clemson House will be restricted?

On the morning of the implosion, university and city safety officials will restrict access to an “exclusion zone” around Clemson House. This area will border Highway 93 on the south and southwest and Sherman Street on the west. It also includes an area north of Daniel Drive and the Douthit Hills construction site to the east.

Parking within the exclusion zone will be prohibited after 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 1. Once the streets are cleaned after the implosion, parking will be permitted in the area. North Palmetto Boulevard will remain closed to parking and vehicle traffic due to construction on the new College of Business.

How will traffic be affected?

Traffic on Highway 93 and Daniel Drive will be stopped a few minutes before and after the implosion, according to university officials. Once the “all clear” is given, traffic will be allowed to resume.

Where’s the best place to view the implosion?

For the best view, head to the R7 and R8 parking lots. To get there, take Highway 93 west to the Cherry Rd. intersection and turn right. The lots are uphill on the left.

You can also view the demolition from Bowman Field, however, the view may be somewhat obscured by trees.

I can’t make it to Clemson. Will I be able to watch the demolition online?

Yes. Clemson will be livestreaming the demolition online at clemson.edu/tv and http://www.clemson.edu/webcams/business.

The Tiger will also have coverage of the demolition on social media and on our website.

What will happen to the site after Clemson House is demolished?

The site will become a green space and parking area, according to university officials.

Have additional questions that weren’t answered here? Email [email protected] or tweet us @thetigercu — we’ll do our best to answer them.