The Tiger’s 2019 NFL Mock Draft

Kim Montuoro, Photographer

Christian Wilkins (left) and Clelin Ferrell (right) were two of the cores of the Clemson defense that helped the team win the 2019 National Championship. Their talent, experience and work ethics make both of them likely first-round draft picks. 

Hello, and welcome to The Tiger’s 2019 NFL Mock Draft! The draft is approaching us fast and 32 men will be hearing their names called on the night of April 25. This year, the draft will be taking place in Nashville, Tennessee. In this mock draft, there are no trades involving first-round picks, but it is being assumed that the New York Giants trade their second round pick for Josh Rosen, as it is being rumored. Kelly made the odd numbered selections and Donahue made the even numbered selections. This is their best guess as to what might happen in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft.

Draft Pick

Player

NFL Team

College

1

Kyler Murray

Cardinals

Oklahoma

2

Nick Bosa

49ers

Ohio State

3

Josh Allen

Jets

Kentucky

4

Quinnen Williams

Raiders

Alabama

5

Devin White

Buccaneers

LSU

6

Jawaan Taylor

Giants

Florida

7

Jonah Williams

Jaguars

Alabama

8

Montez Sweat

Lions

Mississippi State

9

DK Metcalf

Bills

Ole Miss

10

Drew Lock

Broncos

Missouri

11

Dwayne Haskins

Bengals

Ohio State

12

Clelin Ferrell

Packers

Clemson

13

Ed Oliver

Dolphins

Houston

14

Christian Wilkins

Falcons

Clemson

15

Daniel Jones

Redskins

Duke

16

Andre Dillard

Panthers

Washington State

17

Greedy Williams

Giants

LSU

18

TJ Hockenson

Vikings

Iowa

19

Noah Fant

Titans

Iowa

20

Devin Bush

Steelers

Michigan

21

Rashan Gary

Seahawks

Michigan

22

Marquise Brown

Ravens

Oklahoma

23

Cody Ford

Texans

Oklahoma

24

Josh Jacobs

Raiders

Alabama

25

Byron Murphy

Eagles

Washington

26

Brian Burns

Colts

Florida State

27

DeAndre Baker

Raiders

Georgia

28

Dexter Lawrence

Chargers

Clemson

29

Garrett Bradbury

Chiefs

NC State

30

Jonathan Abram

Packers

Mississippi State

31

Jeffery Simmons

Rams

Mississippi State

32

Jerry Tillery

Patriots

Notre Dame

1. Arizona Cardinals – Kyler Murray, QB
It is no secret that the Arizona Cardinals are enamored with Kyler Murray. Arizona’s new head coach, Kliff Kingsbury, said “I’d take him with the first pick in the draft if I could” back in October when Texas Tech was preparing to face off against Murray and his Oklahoma side. Murray is a little undersized at 5 feet 10 inches and 195 pounds, but his electric play is too much to ignore. The Cardinals selected Josh Rosen with the 10th overall pick last year, but there are a plethora of trade rumors surrounding him. If Murray is indeed the pick, he will be the second consecutive Oklahoma quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner to be taken first overall.
2. San Fransisco 49ers – Nick Bosa, DE
Brother of Joey, Nick Bosa has the potential to be even better than his superstar brother. The 49ers have a pressing need at edge rusher, and while the class is deep at the position, there’s no safer bet than Bosa. This looks like a no brainer for San Francisco.
3. New York Jets – Josh Allen, LB
The Jets have made a lot of noise this offseason with the additions of C. J. Mosley, Le’Veon Bell, Kelechi Osemele and Jamison Crowder. New York could look to build around their young quarterback, Sam Darnold, but they should take the best player available here which happens to be Josh Allen. After racking up 17 sacks in the SEC last year, he will be aiming his sights for Tom Brady, Ryan Fitzpatrick and the other Josh Allen.
4. Oakland Raiders – Quinnen Williams, DE
Quinnen Williams is a disrupter. After losing Khalil Mack last offseason, the Raiders are in desperate need for a playmaker on defense, and Quinnen Williams fits the bill. With 4.87 speed at 303 pounds, Williams’ freakish athletic ability will surely translate to success on Sundays.
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Devin White, LB
Devin White to the Buccaneers is the worst kept secret in the draft. He has met with them on various occasions and they have a huge hole at inside linebacker after the departure of rising star, Kwon Alexander. This is the expected pick if Quinnen Williams is off the board.
6. New York Giants – Jawaan Taylor, OL
Assuming the Giants trade for Josh Rosen, they should look to upgrade their offensive line with Jawaan Taylor. If no move is made, Dwayne Haskins makes a lot of sense here, but many people believe Rosen will be wearing blue to open the season. Investing in a solid offensive tackle is always a good pick, especially with Saquon Barkley in the backfield.
7. Jacksonville Jaguars – Jonah Williams, OL
The Jaguars made a huge splash in free agency by signing former Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles to a 88 million-dollar, four-year deal. They should draft someone that can help protect him and make holes for the former fourth overall pick, Leonard Fournette. The Jaguars are a team that could potentially trade down, also.
8. Detroit Lions – Montez Sweat, DE
Montez Sweat jumped up NFL Draft boards after his outstanding performance at the NFL combine which was headlined by a 4.41 40-yard dash. The Lions ranked 31st in sacks last season, and they need a playmaker off the edge. Sweat, or one of the other talented edge rushers, will surely find a home in Detroit.
9. Buffalo Bills – D.K. Metcalf, WR
The Bills have made some quiet, but impactful, moves this offseason, particularly on the offensive side of the ball to help second-year quarterback Josh Allen. Even with the additions of John Brown and Cole Beasley at wide receiver, D.K. Metcalf makes a lot of sense for the Bills. He is 228 pounds, but ran a 4.33 40-yard dash at the Combine that seemed to shake the internet. He is the perfect deep-threat that matches Josh Allen’s play style.
10. Denver Broncos – Drew Lock, QB
Despite trading for veteran quarterback Joe Flacco, the Broncos will look to the future by taking Drew Lock. The Missouri product has slowly climbed draft boards, and could be the second quarterback taken after Kyler Murray. Having Joe Flacco around will allow Lock to ease into the league rather than being forced into a starting spot right away.
11. Cincinnati Bengals – Dwayne Haskins, QB
It might surprise some that Dwayne Haskins has fallen this far, but remember, trades aren’t forecasted in this mock draft. The Bengals could trade up for him, but there is also a chance for him to fall to No. 11. With new head coaches comes new quarterbacks, which means Andy Dalton’s seat is warming up. Haskins threw for 50 touchdowns and finished third in Heisman voting in 2018. He projects to be an above-average quarterback at the next level.
12. Green Bay Packers – Clelin Ferrell, DE
The Green Bay Packers’ were lead in sacks by linebacker Blake Martinez, who compiled four on the season. After Clay Matthews’ departure to Los Angeles, the Packers need to find a way to pressure the quarterback in 2019. Clelin Ferrell is a proven winner who uses length, power and technique to get into the backfield. Ferrell’s presence would change the dynamic of the Packers’ defense.
13. Miami Dolphins – Ed Oliver, DT
The Dolphins could opt to take Daniel Jones here, but it looks like they will go another year without drafting a quarterback in the first round. Ryan Tannehill was traded to the Titans and Ryan Fitzpatrick was brought in. Instead of reaching on Jones, they should take the best available player at 13. Oliver is a freak of a defensive tackle and is often compared to Aaron Donald due to his “smaller size.” He was rumored to be around 6-foot-1-inch, but he measured in at 6-feet 3-inches at the Combine. Oliver was mentioned in the Heisman race early in the season, which says a lot since he is a defensive player.
14. Atlanta Falcons – Christian Wilkins, DT
Although the Falcons brought back Clemson alum Grady Jarrett on a 5-year, 82.5 million dollar extension, they should bring in another Clemson defensive tackle, Christian Wilkins, to play alongside him. Atlanta ranked No.25 in rushing yards allowed last season, and Wilkins would certainly allow the team to improve in that category. Wilkins has the ability to make plays on his own and draw attention from Jarrett, and, with time, the duo could create a unit in the trenches.
15. Washington Redskins – Daniel Jones, QB
The Redskins are in a sticky situation. Quarterback Alex Smith broke his leg last season and his return to the team is up in the air. Case Keenum was brought in, but they could draft Daniel Jones to sit behind him for a year. Jones is extremely raw, but shows flashes of being a decent quarterback. If they look elsewhere, they could draft Brian Burns, an exciting pass rusher from Florida State.
16. Carolina Panthers – Andre Dillard, OL
The success of the Carolina Panthers is seemingly proportional to the health of quarterback Cam Newton. While the Panthers have improved their ability to protect Newton in recent years, there is still work to be done on the front line. Andre Dillard would be a massive improvement at the tackle position. There are several tackles on the same tier as Dillard, so it is possible that the Panthers go with Greg Little, Cody Ford or Dalton Risner here.  
17. New York Giants – Greedy Williams, CB
Again, for the sake of this mock draft, it is being assumed that the Giants will trade for Cardinals’ quarterback Josh Rosen. If the draft turns out like this, and the top four quarterbacks are off the board by 17, the trade for Rosen will look like a very good deal. The Giants could look to find a replacement for Odell Beckham Jr. or Olivier Vernon since both got traded to Cleveland, but they also have a glaring need in the secondary. Greedy Williams is a big corner that is rangy and has great recovery speed. He would be a great pick to pair with Janoris Jenkins and, newly acquired safety, Jabrill Peppers.
18. Minnesota Vikings – TJ Hockenson, TE
While the Vikings have more pressing needs than tight end, Hockenson might be too good to pass up. After quarterback Kirk Cousins struggled mightily in his first year in Minnesota, the team could invest in a security blanket tight end in Hockenson. If the Vikings resist the urge to draft the playmaker, they’ll likely take one of the remaining offensive tackles mentioned at 16.  
19. Tennessee Titans – Noah Fant, TE
Delanie Walker will turn 35 years-old before the season starts, and he is coming off of a nasty ankle injury that ended his 2018 campaign. Noah Fant is one of the top players available and he can be the long term answer for the Titans at tight end. He is one of the fastest tight ends to come out of the draft since Eric Ebron in 2014 (he ran a 4.50 40-yard dash at the Combine). The two Iowa tight ends are as good as advertised and both have a chance at going early in the 2019 Draft.
20. Pittsburgh Steelers – Devin Bush, LB
Devin Bush to the Steelers is as close to a no brainer as there is in the first round. The Steelers have been linked to Bush all offseason, and they apparently sent 10 scouts to his Pro Day at Michigan. The Steelers have been thin at linebacker since the losses of Ryan Shazier and Lawrence Timmons, and Devin Bush is a prototypical Steelers defender. Bush is a disciplined, hard-hitting linebacker that would fit in seamlessly in Pittsburgh.
21. Seattle Seahawks – Rashan Gary, DT
Nobody knows where Rashan Gary will get drafted this year. He has the chance to go fourth overall, but he can also fall to the mid-20s. He is very athletic, but he is also very raw. It’s confusing how an athlete of his caliber didn’t have much production in college. A team could take a chance on his athletic ability early, but he seems like the perfect pick for the Seahawks who have made a couple of weird picks over the years (Bruce Irvin at 15th overall in 2012 and Rashaad Penny at 27th overall in 2018).
22. Baltimore Ravens – Marquise Brown, WR
The Ravens will shock the draft and select Marquise Brown in the first round. After trading Joe Flacco, the Ravens have made it clear that they’re building around their budding quarterback Lamar Jackson. While Jackson is known for his ability in the run-game, adding a receiver like Brown would force defenses to respect his downfield ability. If Jackson’s style of play is going to remain to be successful in the NFL, the Ravens are going to have to find a way to stretch the field.
23. Houston Texans – Cody Ford, OL
If the Texans want Deshaun Watson to have a long career, they need to draft an offensive lineman. For that reason, Cody Ford is the perfect pick. He will start at right tackle from day one. He was part of Oklahoma’s offensive line that won the Joe Moore Award which is given to the best offensive line in college football. He is a fierce and nasty player that plays until the final whistle.
24. Oakland Raiders – Josh Jacobs, RB
It’s no secret that Raiders head coach Jon Gruden loves running the football. While the 2019 draft class is thin at running back, Josh Jacobs has the ability to be a star. With two other first round picks, the Raiders can afford to take a risk on a player that they have a positional need for. If the Raiders pass on Jacobs, they could upgrade their secondary with Greedy Williams or DeAndre Baker.
25. Philadelphia Eagles – Byron Murphy, CB
In today’s pass-happy NFL, you can never have too many defensive backs. That’s why Byron Murphy makes a lot of sense for the Eagles. In 2018, the Eagles’ secondary suffered a lot of injuries and wore thin, fast. They cannot afford to let that happen again. Murphy is arguably the best corner in this class, but he is shorter than what most teams want (5-feet 11-inches). The Eagles could opt to take Josh Jacobs if he is on the board. Philadelphia traded a future conditional sixth round pick for Jordan Howard, but Jacobs is better and has a lot less carries under his belt.
26. Indianapolis Colts – Brian Burns, DE
While the Colts have more pressing needs than a pass rusher, many of their needs would require stretching for second round players. They could take an interior defensive lineman or cornerback, but if Burns falls this far, they won’t pass on him. The value of a potential elite pass rusher is too good to pass on at 26.  
27. Oakland Raiders – DeAndre Baker, CB
The Raiders got this pick from the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for wide receiver Amari Cooper. After taking two Alabama teammates, they could draft their SEC foe from Georgia, DeAndre Baker. Rising star Gareon Conley needs help on the other side of the field, and Baker will provide it for him. The Raiders could really go in any direction here.
28. Los Angeles Chargers – Dexter Lawrence, DT
The Chargers’ biggest need is at interior defensive line, and Dexter Lawrence fits their need exceedingly. Lawrence is a disrupter in the trenches, and he can single handedly slow the opponent’s running game. Lawrence’s size and mobility allowed him to take on double teams and draw attention away from his teammates throughout his collegiate career, and his skills should translate nicely to the NFL.   
29. Kansas City Chiefs – Garrett Bradbury, C
The Chiefs lost starting center Mitch Morse in free agency to the Buffalo Bills and Garrett Bradbury can be his long-term replacement. He could be snapping balls to 2018 NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes. When he played against Clemson in 2018, he did a great job of keeping Dexter Lawrence from getting into the backfield. He is one of the best centers to enter the Draft in recent years.
30. Green Bay Packers – Jonathan Abram, S
The Packers addressed their biggest need with Ferrell at 12, and they will likely look to address their next biggest need late in the first round. The 2019 draft lacks superstar safeties, but Abram could be a fit for the Packers. The team might be wary of using two first round picks without upgrading the offense, especially with the departure of Randall Cobb, so they could reach for a receiver here.
31. Los Angeles Rams – Jeffery Simmons, DT
The Rams lost Rodger Saffold to the Titans in free agency, they cut John Sullivan to clear up some cap and it doesn’t look like Ndamukong Suh will be returning. The Rams had one of the worst rush defenses in 2018 even with the three-headed monster of Aaron Donald, Suh, and Michael Brockers. They should draft Clemson’s Dexter Lawrence if he’s there, but he might not be on the board. If he’s not, they should opt to take defensive lineman Jeffery Simmons from Mississippi State. Simmons is a top-ten talent in this draft, but he tore his ACL during a workout preparing him for the draft. The Rams are a team that can take a chance on Simmons and he could potentially return for a postseason run with Los Angeles. If this is the move, Michael Brockers might have to kick inside to nose tackle.
32. New England Patriots – Jerry Tillery, DT
The Patriots will likely be losing defensive tackle Danny Shelton this offseason, and they could look to replace him with the talented Jerry Tillery. With the retirement of Rob Gronkowski and the loss of Dwayne Allen, it’s possible that the Patriots reach for Irv Smith Jr. or trade up for Hockenson or Fant. They could also look for a deep-threat receiver with Josh Gordon’s future in doubt.

And with that, our first round mock draft is completed. Let us know what you think about the picks on Twitter @thetigersports!