Kappa Delta and Girl Scouts: promoting STEAM to the community

Bowe_News+Header.png
Bowe_News Header.png

Nina Cinca, News Asst. Editor 

As the Halloween season comes and goes and the festivities start to fade, the atmosphere on the Kappa Delta’s (KD) hall was still just as lively and caught up in the spooky spirit, as they recently held an event for the Girl Scouts of America. 

Forty girl scouts showed up to the event and around 42 KD sisters helped work it, which was a great improvement as only about 20 girl scouts showed up last year. While the main station of the day was trick-or-treating on the hall, other stations were based around S.T.E.A.M. (science, technology, engineering, art and math) which consisted of a variety of activities to participate in. 

“We do shadow puppets, math with candy, painting pumpkins, building with toothpicks and marshmallows, etc. and end the event with trick-or-treating through the hall where they can really interact with sisters and get a hint of what our dorms are like,” Lilly Zmarzly, a sophomore elementary education major, said. “The sisters love this part: dressing up, decorating the hall and handing out candy, and obviously, the girl scouts love this station.”

Throughout the day, KD sisters got to interact with the girl scouts in different ways, including giving a talk about safety and the safe way to trick-or-treat, handing out candy on the hall or dressing up for a Halloween contest. 

“My favorite part of today was face painting. The girls got really creative with what they wanted on their face, and it was just a really fun time where I got to talk to the girl scouts one-on-one,” Allana O’Shields, a political science and women’s leadership major, said. 

Every KD chapter across the country has a partnership with the Girl Scouts of America and works to hold around four events each year. Because of KD’s philanthropy, getting the opportunity to interact with these young girls is always a rewarding experience. 

“I thought today was really cool because these girls do look up to us so much, and it keeps me in check as well as my other sisters and just reminds us confidence is key. It’s one thing to tell these girls to be confident but another thing to actually be confident,” Kayla Gray, a sophomore nursing major, said. “I think it’s precious to see these girls have such a simple look on life and just live life how they want to and be who they truly are, which I think can get lost as you age sometimes. They may look up to us, but in some ways, I kind of look up to them too because they have a view on life that I’ve definitely lost as I’ve gotten older.”

Not only did the girl scouts learn life-long skills, but they taught older KD sisters valuable qualities as well. It was an overall exciting day, a hands-on, creative and rewarding experience. As the spooky spirit moves on, KD’s other events involving the Girl Scouts of America, such as ‘Galentines’ in February, will still continue to take place throughout the coming year.