Tennessee fugitive apprehended by CUPD in Lightsey Bridge residence hall

David Ferrara, News Editor

A photo taken from the scene. The Tiger Transit bus in the background was stopped during the shelter-in-place order.

Clemson University Police Department apprehended a Tennessee fugitive early Friday afternoon after being contacted by Tennessee law enforcement last night, Jan. 28. 

“Today, as officers were investigating information they encountered this individual, who fled into a building in the Lightsey Bridge area,” explained Philip Sikes from university relations in a statement to The Tiger. “Our officers set up a containment area, spoke to the gentlemen, and he was taken into custody without incident.”

Clemson University sent out a CU Safe Alert at 1:05 pm, strongly urging all to avoid the area due to law enforcement activity. The alert was then cancelled at 1:40 pm, allowing students to return to normal activity.

Reports indicate that the community was under a shelter-in-place order, with RAs stationed outside urging any passersby to return inside for their safety. Both marked and unmarked cars were photographed on the scene, along with a K-9 unit.

In response to rumors that the individual was armed, Sikes reported that he was not aware of any weapons being involved.

It is unclear at this time what the outstanding Tennessee warrant was for.

“At this point, the process is working with Tennessee authorities to begin extradition processes. Luckily, everything was without incident, no confrontation.” said Sikes.