Tony Elliott emerging as top candidate for Virginia head coach, sources say

David Perez, Contributor

Former defensive coordinator Brent Venables stands beside Tony Elliott as he receives the 2017 Broyles Award for being college football’s assistant coach of the year.

After losing defensive coordinator Brent Venables to Oklahoma, it appears that Clemson may be looking for a new offensive coordinator as well.
According to reports from the Clemson Insider, Tony Elliott has reemerged as a candidate for the Virginia head coaching job.
Elliott, who has been with the Tigers since 2011, will interview today with Virginia staff. He has also brought his family to the meeting, according to Mike Barber of the Richmond-Times Dispatch.
Elliott’s name has been thrown around for Duke’s head coach opening as well, but Virginia may be more attractive to Elliott.
There were reports that Penn State co-defensive coordinator Anthony Poindexter interviewed for the Virginia position as well, but Poindexter has chosen to stay at Penn State, according to Adam Rittenberg of ESPN.
If Elliott does take over as head coach for Virginia, Clemson will have to fill his position and Venables’ position as quickly as possible. Choosing the right candidate is critical, but timing is everything with recruiting in full swing.