ACC bracket next up for men’s basketball

The start of a new era has only begun for Clemson men’s basketball. The success that the 2017-2018 season has a cultivates an excitement for ACC Tournament play, as well as next season. The Tigers have had to buckle up for this rollercoaster of a season and have done so with poise and consistency. With two of their five starters experiencing injuries late in the season, Clemson basketball rallied. Young players stepped up, and coaches continued to push for the “Clemson Grit” which led them to a successful 22-8 overall season, including an 11-7 record in the ACC. 

With 11 wins in conference play, Clemson set a new program record for wins in the ACC. This is a testament to the hard work that paid off for the Tigers.  Others have recognized the hard work, too, as top scorers like Gabe DeVoe and Marcquise Reed have been named ACC Player of the Week this season, and Coach Brad Brownell was named a finalist for Naismith Coach of the Year. Looking forward, it is definitely reasonable to say that Clemson has a bright future, as 12 of its 14 talents are returning next season.

Despite the loss to Syracuse on Saturday, Clemson earned the nod as the four-seed in next week’s ACC Tournament, preceded by Virginia, Duke and Miami. The Tigers will receive a double-bye into the tournament, which is held in Brooklyn, NY. Their opponent has yet to be determined, as the first game will be held Thursday, March 8. 

Regardless of the outcome in Brooklyn, for the first time in 7 years, Clemson will be a part of the madness, otherwise known as the NCAA Tournament. There will be absurd wins and losses, buzzer-beating shots and unlikely heroes emerging along the way during tournament play, and the Clemson Tigers will hope to be on the winning side of the madness as they continue to make a name for themselves as part of this promising season in Tigertown.