Clemson takes down Furman 10-5 at Fluor Field

The Clemson Tigers defeated the Furman Paladins 10-5 Tuesday night behind a Seth Beer grand slam and solid start from pitcher Sam Weatherly.
The scoring got going early for the Tigers when Patrick Cromwell, who dropped to the seventh spot in the order, drove in Robert Jolly in the second inning.
Clemson tacked on another run in the third inning thanks to a RBI single from Beer to score Logan Davidson. The Tigers then exploded for six runs on two hits, including Beer’s grand slam, in the fourth inning to take a 8-0 lead.
Defensively, the Tigers had three errors, and Jones and Huggins struggled out of the pen. Clemson pitching issued a total of seven walks against nine strikeouts.
Weatherly was also part of that six-run fourth, as the Tiger pitcher also batted for himself in the game. His first career hit was a RBI single that started the two-out rally.
On the mound, Weatherly pitched 4.1 innings, giving up two runs on three hits. He also walked five while striking out six. It was his first start since another midweek start against Wofford on March 6.
Holt Jones entered the game in relief of Weatherly, and he promptly let his two inherited runners score along with one of his own runners to cut the lead to 8-3.
By the time the sixth inning came to a close, Furman had cut the Clemson lead to 8-5 and chased Jones from the game. Ryne Huggins and Travis Marr combined to finish the inning.
Chris Williams then hit a two-run homerun in the seventh to give the Tigers a 10-5 lead.
Overall, Clemson had 10 hits against Furman pitching and had an additional seven walks. Davidson walked four times in the leadoff spot and hit a double in his only official at-bat.
The Tigers next take on Boston College in a three-game series Thursday-Saturday. Thursday’s game will start at 6:30 p.m.