Here’s how Clemson is celebrating #PrideWeek18

Clemson Pride Week (#PrideWeek18) kicks off this Friday and will run through April 7. Here’s a look at all of the events that are happening:

Ally Training

When: Friday, March 30 from 8 a.m. to noon

Where: Academic Success Center 118

To register, click here

The purpose of Ally Training is to make Clemson a more welcoming and inclusive place for LGBTQ students, faculty and staff. It aims to increase awareness and understanding of LGBTQ issues and to train allies to stand with, and advocate for, members of the LGBTQ community.

LGBTQ Commission Open Forum

When: Friday, March 30 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Where: Academic Success Center 118

The President’s LGBTQ Commission will hold a forum to communicate with the Clemson University campus its activities and to provide community members with the opportunity to pose any comments, questions or concerns. The forum will be open to staff, faculty, administrators and students. There will be a student-only forum held later in the semester as well.

The Wardrobe Ribbon Cutting

When: Monday, April 2 from noon to 1 p.m.

Where: Paw Pantry, Union Breezeway

CU SAGA is partnering with Paw Pantry to open The Wardrobe, a collection of clothing donated by the Clemson community for any student in need, with a special emphasis for trans and gender non-conforming students in need of clothing.

“PRIDE” Film Screening

When: Tuesday, April 3 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Where: Lee 2-111

“PRIDE” is a British LGBT-related historical comedy-drama film based on a true story. It depicts a group of lesbian and gay activists who raised money to help families affected by the British Miners’ Strike in 1984, at the outset of what would become the Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners campaign. Popcorn will be provided.

Common Read Book Discussion: Juliet Takes a Breath

When: Tuesday, April 3 from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Where: Brown Room, Cooper Library

Megan MacAlystre, a senior lecturer in Clemson’s English department, will be leading a discussion on Juliet Takes a Breath, a riveting novel about the intersections of ethnicity and sexuality. Free books will be given to the first 12 people who visit the Gantt Multicultural Center (Brackett 300) and make a commitment to attend the event.

LGBTQ+ Resource Fair

When: Wednesday, April 4 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Where: Hendrix Student Center Atrium

Drop-in to learn more about resources both in and outside of Clemson specifically for LGBTQ+ students.

Open Mic Night

When: Wednesday, April 4 from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

Where: Union Underground

Hosted by CU SAGA, this event will allow students to share their creativity in the form of songs, poems, spoken-word, skits or other forms of expression. Content is LGBTQ+ encouraged, but all are welcome.

Intersection of Religion and Identity Discussion

When: Thursday, April 5 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Where: Lee 2-111

Representatives from several religious backgrounds and faith traditions will talk about the intersection of religion with sexuality and gender identity.

Trans Information Session

When: Friday, April 6 from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m.

Where: Brown Room, Cooper Library

The Gender Benders will be leading a workshop on sexuality and gender identity.

Drag 101 with Tricia Lust

When: Friday, April 6 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Where: Brown Room, Cooper Library

Drag Queen Tricia Lust will be teaching everyone about drag culture.

Pride Prom

When: Friday, April 6 from 9 p.m. to midnight

Where: Union Underground and courtyard

6th Annual Drag Show

When: Saturday, April 7 from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Where: Memorial Auditorium (Old Main/Tillman Hall)

The 6th Annual Drag Show will feature professional performers from across the country, as well as Clemson students in an amateur portion. Look out for registration opportunities soon.

Sponsors of #PrideWeek18 events include: The Harvey and Lucinda Gantt Multicultural Center, CLEMSONLiVE, the President’s LGBTQ Commission, Clemson University Sexuality and Gender Alliance (CU SAGA), Paw Pantry and Clemson Libraries.
For additional information, contact Dr. Kendra Stewart-Tillman at [email protected] or 864-656-7625. You can also visit the Gantt Center website by clicking here.