The Sports Notebook: spring weekend recap

Welcome to the Sports Notebook! Let’s take a look back at a busy weekend in Clemson Athletics with Clemson’s Spring Weekend! NOTE: The women’s tennis Sunday match will NOT be reflected in this article.

FOOTBALL

Recap: Clemson wrapped up their Spring Football practice with the annual Orange and White spring football game. The Orange team won 28-17. Tee Higgins stole the show with four catches for 118 yards and two touchdowns. Trevor Lawrence made an impression from the start and went 11-16 for 122 yards with one touchdown.

Coming up: Clemson will head into summer workouts and fall camp in August. Clemson opens the 2018 season against Furman on Sept. 1.

BASEBALL

Recap: Clemson lost the series against Miami, losing two out of the three games to the Hurricanes, including the opening Friday night matchup where they allowed eight runs which unfortunately let Miami to get back in the game. 

Coming up: Clemson will hit the road to Athens, Georgia, for a mid-week game on Wednesday against the Georgia Bulldogs for a 7 p.m. first pitch. The Tigers will then hit the road to Winston-Salem, North Carolina for a weekend series against Wake Forest beginning Friday at 6 p.m.

VOLLEYBALL

What has happened:  Clemson swept Georgia State this past Friday in three sets. 25-20, 25-18 and 25-14. 

Coming up: Clemson is 2-0 heading into the South Carolina Tournament against Appalachian State, Wofford and South Carolina.

ROWING

Recap: The rowing team competed in the Clemson Invitational this past Saturday morning. Katie Herbolsheimer lead her team to a first-place finish time of 7:17.64. 

Coming up: Clemson will host the ACC Championships on Lake Hartwell on May 13.

WOMEN’S SOCCER

Recap: The women’s soccer team wrapped up the spring schedule, defeating the College of Charleston and Georgia State over the weekend. Patrice DiPasquale had two goals while Mariana Speckmaier and Mackenzie Smith each had one goal.

GOLF

Recap: The team finished second at the Clemson Invitational hosted on Friday and Saturday, with 36 holes played on Saturday due to inclement weather on Sunday. Turk Pettit and Bryson Nimmer led Clemson to the finish.

Coming up: Clemson will head up to New London, North Carolina for the ACC Tournament at the Old North State Club.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

Recap: Clemson defeated Louisville 4-3 on Friday after senior Daniela Ruiz broke a tiebreaker to clinch the matchup for the Tigers on Senior Day.

Coming up: Clemson will hit the road for two ACC matches, the first against Virginia on Friday at 3 p.m. and the second on Sunday in Atlanta against Georgia Tech at 2 p.m.