Top five things you need to know this week: April 16 edition

Clemson announces carbon market workshop for forest landowners

Clemson Cooperative Extension experts will hold a second workshop to show how being in the carbon market can fight climate change while also providing new revenue. 

The workshop will be on May 9 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Lakehouse at Clemson’s Sandhill Research and Education Center in Columbia.

Topics covered includes how to create and trade carbon offsets, or carbon credits, which have the potential to fight climate change, improve soil quality and conserve biodiversity. 

The cost is $25 and seating will be limited. To register, go to http://bit.ly/ClemsonCarbonMarket.

New research points toward mechanism that regulates brain immune cells

Clemson University’s Department of Biological Sciences has identified tiny particles, known as extracellular vesicles, in the brain that regulate the neuroimmune system in a new study.

The particles are released from neural stem cells near the center of the brain in the subventricular zone. They contain “messages” in the form of RNA sequences. These are received by the microglia, the immune cells in the central nervous system. 

The study, published on April 3 in Cell Reports, suggests that the extracellular vesicles could potentially be engineered to direct microglia to damaged portions of the brain to aid immune response. 

To learn more, go to https://bit.ly/2JC7TYt.

Brain injury diagnosis, knee surgery research awarded Clemson sports science grants

Seed grants to the Robert H. Brooks Sports Science Institute at Clemson have allowed researchers to focus on sports research projects such as improving brain injury diagnosis as well as approaches to knee surgery. The grants are intended to improve Clemson faculty member’s capacity to assess issues involving sports.

The grant recipients were chosen based on different factors including likelihood of completion as well as future funding. 

Those awarded include:  Thompson Mefford, Jeremy Mercuri and Tong Ye; Ryan Gagnon, Mariela Fernandez and Edmond Bowers; and Martie Thompson, Heidi Zinzow and Jeffrey Kingree.

Ford Motor Company to sponsor Clemson Deep Orange 10 autonomous vehicle prototype

The tenth generation of Deep Orange, a vehicle prototype designed and conceived by automotive engineering students of the Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research (CU-ICAR), is being sponsored by Ford Motor Company.

Deep Orange was conceived as a way for students to practice hands-on project-based learning. The project usually showcases advanced technology and provides students to work directly with automotive industry partners. 

The program runs two semesters alongside Clemson’s master’s program in automotive engineering. For the tenth iteration, the students will develop a clean-slate, purpose-built, electric autonomous concept for the 2030 Smart City life. 

Annie’s Project educational retreat set for state’s female farmers

A four day retreat intended to empower South Carolina farm women, Annie’s project, is being held by the Clemson University Cooperative Extension.

The retreat, which will be facilitated by experts and professionals from business and agricultural backgrounds, will focus on how to be better business partners in networks and managing information. 

Topics covered will include business planning, financial statements, risk assessments, farm programs, family and liability, insurance, and more. 

The event will be May 1-4 at the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Rock Hill. The cost starts at $150 per person. This fee includes materials and activities as well lodging and meals.