Top five things you need to know this week: Feb. 5 edition

Clemson’s Baruch Institute celebrates 50th anniversary

Clemson University’s Baruch Institute celebrated its 50th anniversary during a ceremony on Jan. 25.

Located on the Hobcaw Barony in Georgetown, South Carolina, the institute offers research opportunities for faculty and students in an ecological reserve of forests, high-salinity marsh estuaries and brackish and freshwater marshes.

The institute currently has 10 resident scientists and two additional ones with emeritus status. Together, they have more than $8 million in research grants. 

To learn more about the Baruch Institute, go to https://www.clemson.edu/public/baruch/. 

Campus Movie Fest returning to Clemson for 2nd year

Head’s up, aspiring film directors! Campus Movie Fest (CMF) will launch at Clemson on Feb. 13.

Students will have one week (until Feb. 19) to make a five minute film. The CMF staff provides training, support and equipment — including a laptop loaded with Adobe Creative Cloud, a Panasonic LUMIX HD camera and Sennheiser sound gear. Participation is completely free for students. 

The Top 16 movies will screen at a red-carpet premiere on Feb. 21. The Top 4 films will move on to compete on the national level at the TERMINUS Conference + Festival in Atlanta. 

To learn more and sign up, go to campusmoviefest.com. 

Pickens County Advocacy Center opens Clemson office

The Pickens County Advocacy Center (PCAC) has opened a satellite office in Clemson. 

The PCAC offers walk-in advocacy services and counseling appointments for victims of sexual assault. 

The Clemson satellite office is located at 105 Wall Street, Suite 10-A. A PCAC victim advocate will be in the office on Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The office will be closed for lunch each day from 11 a.m. to noon. 

To schedule a counseling appointment, call 864-722-5353. To reach the 24 hour hotline, call 864-442-5500. To learn more about the PCAC, visit their website http://www.pcadvocacy.org. 

James F. Barker Ethics in Action Award

Former Charleston mayor Joe Riley Jr. has been selected to receive the 2018 James F. Barker Ethics in Action Award. 

Riley will be recognized at a dinner in his honor on Saturday, Feb. 10 from 6-9 p.m. at the Francis Marion Hotel in Charleston.

The award is named for the former president of Clemson University. It honors individuals whose actions or significant accomplishments show a commitment to ethical conduct and integrity.  

“Mayor Riley’s career transcends the unsavory flavor so often associated with politics,” said Kelly Durham, chair of the advisory board of the Rutland Institute for Ethics. “He led by serving others, from the least fortunate to the most affluent, regardless of race, party or faction. To him, everyone is important and everyone is worthy of inclusion. He is a worthy recipient of the James F. Barker Ethics in Action Award.”

Two CU officials to serve on national board for higher ed

Two Clemson University officials have been selected to serve on the new Higher Education Committee of 50 — or Forward50. 

Chuck Knepfle, associate vice president for enrollment management, and Amber Lange, executive director of the Office of College Preparation and Outreach in the Division of Inclusion and Equity, are the two Clemson officials chosen to serve on the committee.

Forward50 represents the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) and is comprised of important individuals within all sectors of postsecondary institutions. 

The committee will examine policy related to access, affordability, accountability and transparency. It will produce four papers with recommendations for members of Congress and the broader policy community in fall 2018.