Here’s the reason why so many trees have been cut down across Clemson’s campus

DAVIS STEVENS // Staff

One of many trees that has been removed by Clemson this year.

Recent construction projects on campus, including the new business school, have resulted in the removal of several trees across campus. Residents of the Clemson area are wondering what happened to these trees. 

According to Thomas Fallaw, the Director of Clemson University’s Landscape Services department, there are many new trees that are being planted to replace those removed by construction and other projects.

“There are a lot of trees going in right now, some of them are smaller … unfortunately [we] can’t plant huge trees everywhere,” Fallaw said. “They’ve installed several hundred [trees] this particular planting season, and more will be planted as the remainder of the project is filled out.”

Many trees that are being removed due to construction on campus are already being looked at to be replaced soon. The trees that will be replacing them will be better suited for the areas and are already built into the long term plans of the specific sites.

“[It’s] just better to come back and plant new trees that are better suited for the site,” Fallaw said. “I think doing a real mixed diverse planting is important.” 

Some students feel the trees themselves give the campus a special appeal that other schools do not have.

“One of the reasons I came here [was] because there was so much nature around,” senior political science major Dylan Glick said. “It wasn’t like a city.”

Clemson’s campus is home to thousands of trees, which the landscaping department keeps track of and works with the administration to keep up the campus’ appearance. 

“The powers that be realize the importance of trees,” Fallaw said.

“Unfortunately you can’t always save every tree,” Fallaw added. “You know it’s nice to preserve older trees for sure, cause [sic] that’s something that makes up what a lot of people think is unique about our campus.”

Some of the larger trees on campus are removed due to either disease or risk to Clemson residents. However, there is a team of specialists dedicated to ensuring the ongoing health of the trees here at Clemson.

As for continuing concerns about campus trees as a whole, Fallaw said that there will be some initial discomfort with the tree removals, especially those iconic to Clemson. However, he sees these as merely growing pains as Clemson expands.

“We have to think for now but we also have to think for the future generations of Clemson students, alums[sic] and whatever else,” Fallaw said. “It isn’t instant gratification.”

Fallaw hopes that in the future his department’s efforts will result in a campus everyone can be proud of.

“I think over time, it will certainly feel like other parts of campus,” he said.