Opinion: Douthit Gym’s delayed openings

Gym
Gym

Clemson University has an astounding record for starting projects that seem to take ages to finish. Whether it is roadside construction, renovations to some of the older buildings or that work order that maintenance said they would take care of two weeks ago, it feels like nothing is tied up in a pretty bow. One project currently has some students questioning the productivity of the university. This is the Douthit gym, what looks to be a sparkling, student-only facility. The key word here is “looks,” as the students have not been able to access the gym yet. While the Douthit apartments and Hub itself were completed before most students had their last summer swim, the Douthit Fitness Center continues to delay the grand opening. While the idea of having a gym in close proximity to the students who frequent the East side of campus seems great, the date for that dream to become a reality is still unclear.

During the summer, it was rumored that the gym would be open around Aug. 1. Since this project is detail oriented, that opening date seemed a bit premature, so the lack of a grand opening at this time was no surprise. After the first date came and went, there were new rumors that students would be able to watch Netflix while running on brand new treadmills near the end of August. After August passed, the students still found themselves looking at the empty equipment while waiting at the crosswalk in front of Douthit, instead of watching the bustling crosswalk while using the ellipticals in front of the large glass windows.

The Clemson Welcome Center then sent out an email on Aug. 31t with campus updates for the month of September. In the email, they mentioned that the gym would soon see its awaited grand opening, with a celebration on Sept. 14. This celebration included tours of the fitness center, indicating that it would be open for students to use around that same date. Some students were excited to work out without having to see the rest of the student body crowding Fike, while others were excited to have the option to avoid working out. However, the students remember the 21st night of September lacking a new gym.

After multiple delays, the Clemson Welcome Center gave ANOTHER update on the Fitness Center that should have already been in use. On Oct. 1, the University reminded the students that they have yet to finish their project by stating that the gym will be opening in the fall. No date was provided in this email, leaving an open space for another delay. Understandably, the gym may not be top priority for the University. However, some students just want to know when they can start telling themselves that they will work out as they eat their seventh handful of candy corn. Others just want to brush up on their work out plans with a view of the orange and pink sky over Tillman. Hopefully Clemson won’t settle in their record, and this article will not resurface after the fall with an update of another delay.

I hope you enjoyed this op-ed. If you agree or disagree with me on this topic and would like to contact me to share your own opinion, or if you would like to request any future topics for me to write about, please do so at [email protected].