Gameday preview: Georgia Southern

Heading into week 3 of College Football, the Tigers gear up to take on the Georgia Southern Eagles in Death Valley on Saturday. The noon game, moved up from 3:30pm due to Hurricane Florence, will be the first ever meeting of the two teams. Clemson is looking to clean up their play coming off a rainy two-point win in College Station, and Georgia Southern will be aiming to stop some power plays from the No. 2 ranked Tigers.

Georgia Southern’s offense is heavily built around their running game averaging 326.5 rushing yards per game so far this season over Clemson’s 182. Defensive coordinator Brent Venables and the Tiger defense will continue dominating opponents with sacks and tackles for loss. Allowing only an average of 94 rushing yards over the past two games, this matchup should not cause the Clemson defense any issues.

A testament to the power of Clemson defense, DE Clelin Ferrell was named ACC defensive lineman of the week on Tuesday for his accomplishments against Texas A&M, where he recorded two sacks and forced a fumble that was recovered by DE Justin Foster.

Offensively, Coach Swinney is continuing his two quarterback system. Though doubted by many, the strategy has been returning results as hoped, and both players have seen ample field time. Senior Kelly Bryant and freshman Trevor Lawrence have had high spirits about sharing the position and are focused on doing what’s best for the team. Their differences in playing style, Bryant excelling on the ground and Lawrence in the air, presents a preparation challenge for Georgia Southern.