The Clemson Sports Notebook: Week of Sept. 24-30

FOOTBALL

What has happened: Clemson defeated Georgia Tech in a 49-21 rout to open conference play. Trevor Lawrence threw 4 touchdowns and won the starting quarterback job over Kelly Bryant, the school announced Monday. Clemson’s defense held the No. 1 rushing offense in the country to 146 yards. The win improves Clemson’s record to 4-0 overall and 1-0 in ACC play.

Coming up: Clemson looks for revenge this coming Saturday against the Syracuse Orange for last year’s loss. Kickoff is at noon.
VOLLEYBALL

What has happened: Clemson opened ACC play against with a loss to Boston College on Friday in 3 sets. Brooke Bailey led the Tigers with 12 kills. Soleli Thomas had 5 in the losing effort. Clemson also fell to Syracuse on Sunday in 4 sets.

The loss drops Clemson to 9-6 overall and 0-2 in ACC play.

Coming up: Clemson returns home for two matches this weekend. Notre Dame comes into town at 7 p.m. on Friday followed by Louisville on Sunday at 1 p.m.

MEN’S SOCCER

What has happened: Clemson split the week with games against Furman and Wake Forest. Clemson defeated the Paladins on Tuesday, 5-2. Tanner Dieterich got Clemson on the board on a penalty kick. Adrian Nunez had a pair of goals while Quinn McNeill and Grayson Barber had 1 goal each.

Clemson fell to the Demon Deacons, who were the No. 1 team in the country Friday night, 3-0. Clemson currently sits at 4-3-1 and 0-2 in ACC play.

Coming up: Clemson will hit the road to face North Carolina on Friday at 7 p.m.

WOMEN’S SOCCER

What has happened: Eddie Radwanski’s squad defeated Virginia by a single goal in double overtime to continue their winning ways in ACC play. Mariana Speckmaier scored the winning goal for the Tigers. Clemson fell to North Carolina on Sunday by a score of 1-0.

Clemson sits at 7-4 overall and 2-1 in ACC play.
Coming up: Clemson will host Boston College on Sunday at 1 p.m.

CROSS COUNTRY

What has happened: The Tigers headed to Nashville, Tennessee to compete in the Commodore Classic last week. Logan Morris finished 4th overall with a time of 17:29.4 in the women’s 4K race. On the men’s side, Cole Griffith finished 38th overall with a time of 26:10.9 on the 8K course.

Coming up: Clemson will head to South Bend, Indiana to compete in the Joe Piane Invitational on Friday.