The Clemson Sports Notebook: Week of Sept. 3-9

It’s back! Welcome to the first Sports Notebook of the school year. The Tiger is excited to release this series again this year, and we hope you will enjoy it!

FOOTBALL

What has happened: Clemson opened the 2018 season with a 48-7 rout over the Furman Paladins. Quarterbacks Kelly Bryant and Trevor Lawrence both saw action as the battle to see who will be Clemson’s starter moving forward continues.

Coming up: Clemson hits the road to College Station, Texas for an early road test against Texas A&M. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. and the game will be televised on ESPN.

VOLLEYBALL

What has happened: In the Appalachian Invitational this weekend, Clemson defeated Davidson in three sets and Appalachian State in five sets to win the tournament. Freshman Soleli Thomas was named tournament MVP. Sophomore Alyssa Deloney and freshman Gabby Easton earned All-Tournament team honors.

Coming up: Clemson has a busy week ahead. The team will face Kennesaw State on the road on Tuesday at 7 p.m. before facing UAB on Friday at 7 p.m. On Saturday, Clemson will face Troy at 12:30 p.m. and North Dakota at 7 p.m. All three of the weekend games will be at Jervey Gym.

MEN’S SOCCER

What has happened: Another year, another victory over South Carolina for Mike Noonan’s squad. The Tigers’ 5-0 win was the fifth straight win over the Gamecocks. Clemson improved to 2-1-1 on the young season.

Coming up: Clemson’s first home game of the season at Riggs Field is Monday at 7 p.m. against Villanova. Following Monday’s game, the Tigers will hit the road beginning Friday against Boston College. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. The following Sunday, Clemson will head to UMass for a 1 p.m. kick.

WOMEN’S SOCCER

Note: Sunday’s game against Wofford will not be reflected in this article

What has happened: There’s the annual First Friday parade and then the annual soccer game at Riggs Field the night before the first football game. Clemson defeated Villanova 1-0 as they outshooted the Wildcats 17-2 in the match. The win improved Clemson’s record to 3-2.

Coming up: Following the match against Wofford, Clemson will head back to Riggs Field to face West Virginia on Friday at 7 p.m. and then Liberty on Sunday at 2 p.m.

CROSS COUNTRY

What has happened: Both the women and men’s cross country teams opened the season finishing as the runner-up in the Carolina Challenge on Saturday morning.

Coming up: Clemson will head to Winthrop for the 2018 NCAA Southeast Regional on Saturday, Sept. 15