Tiger Platoon to hold 9/11 memorial service

The Tiger Platoon is holding a 9/11 memorial service in the Tillman Hall (Old Main) auditorium on Tuesday, Sept. 11.

Doors will open at 4:30 p.m. The service will begin at 5 p.m. with a presentation of the national colors and the singing of the national anthem followed by a greeting from the Masters of Ceremony and introduction of the first speaker.

James P. White, a Clemson alumnus who was killed in the 9/11 Twin Tower attacks, will be honored during the memorial service. In 2002, his friends and family created the James P. White memorial scholarship endowment, a need based scholarship provided to a deserving Clemson student, in his honor.

Wes Few and Bill Tobin have both helped Clemson organize this event to pause and remember the American lives lost in the 9/11 attacks, according to a news release. Few is a Clemson alumnus and friend of White. Tobin serves on the advisory board of the Wood Utilization + Design Institute at Clemson as a representative from LendLease. Tobin witnessed the 9/11 attack in Washington, D.C. from a construction site across the street from the Pentagon.

Along with the Tiger Platoon, other organizations involved include the Pershing Rifles, Arnold Air Society, Ranger Club, Clemson Core, Student Veteran Association and ROTC cadet volunteers.