Top four things you need to know this week: Sept. 24 edition

Police investigating string of car break-ins on campus

The Clemson University Police Department (CUPD) reported numerous vehicular break-ins occurring between the night of Sept. 21 and the morning of Sept. 22 at the R-1 parking lot by Kite Hill. 

According to police, car windows were smashed or soft tops were cut to gain entry to several vehicles. 

CUPD is currently investigating these break-ins, as well as several robberies that occurred at Calhoun Courts apartments earlier this month.

If you see any suspicious behavior, call 911 or CUPD at 864-656-2222.

Self defense classes being offered this week 

CLEMSONLiVE is hosting a self-defense class this Wednesday, Sept. 26 in the meeting rooms at the Hendrix Student Center. 

Two sessions are being offered: one at 7 p.m. and one at 8 p.m. The class is completely free to students with presentation of a valid CUID.

CU student to attend Student Veteran Leadership Institute

Clemson senior Ashley Johnson was selected to attend the 2018 Student Veterans of America (SVA) Leadership Institute in Washington, D.C. this past weekend, Sept. 22-23. The Leadership Institute is the premiere leadership experience in the U.S. for student veterans.    

Johnson, a U.S. Navy veteran and the president of Clemson’s Student Veterans Association, is one of only 104 elected chapter officers selected nationwide to attend the conference. 

Johnson is double majoring in psychology and criminal justice and is from upstate New York. 

Clemson cracking down on size of fraternity parties

Greek life officials at Clemson are trying to reduce the risk of unsafe activities at fraternity houses by enforcing stricter rules. 

Fraternity brothers can only invite three guests to parties, hard liquor has been banned and CUIDs are scanned at the door to monitor who is attending, the Greenville News reports. 

These rules were put in place last spring in response to incidents at Clemson and other universities across the country.