Things you get used to as a Clemson student

No longer are you the confident, “we run this school,” high senior you once were. You have just been dropped in the deep, cold abyss that is your freshman year of college. As we descend upon week three, most of you are probably already over the initial nervous excitement and anxiety over the first weeks of classes. So here is a list of tips to help better acclimate you to Clemson.
1. Dodging clubs on library bridge
Everyone is recruiting for everything, especially the first few weeks of classes. Dodging people with flyers walking across library bridge can often feel like a scene from “The Matrix.” My advice to you: headphones in and avoid direct eye contact. If you can’t see them, they can’t see you.
2. Feeling like a fish in a glass tank when tour groups walk past you
You are no longer the one looking in. You will quickly grow to hate slow-walking tour groups looking at you like you’re a new species. You will hate them even though that was you, six short months ago.
3. Always carry an umbrella
This is something I found out the second day of my freshman year while in a thin white top and blue bra. When it rains at Clemson, it really pours, and weather.com is never right. Ladies, consider this one of the finest pieces of advice I can give you: always, always carry an umbrella!
4. Walking by athletes you know are going to go pro
A super cool thing about Clemson is that athletes and coaches are super accessible to Clemson students. I have seen Dabo, Deshaun and Kelly numerous times over the years. I know it may be hard, but keep your cool and don’t ask for autographs or pictures. At least don’t do it during a class change or the school day. They are just like us and are trying to learn.
5. Uber becomes your most used app
As you have probably realized during rush blow out, most, if not all, parties are off campus. Frats are all off campus and off the bus route. Befriend pledge drivers and learn to love Uber because those will be your primary modes of transport to greek parties. For apartment/house parties, learn the bus route. All buses can be tracked on the myClemson app.
6. Having to ask if it’s water when handed a water bottle
Football games, parties, class. If you know, you know.
7. Having very little control over your schedule
Being a freshman, you are the lowest on the totem poles when it comes to scheduling classes. When you get older, it doesn’t get much better, as classes get more major-specific and less sections are offered. You wouldn’t really be a Clemson student if you never suffered through a couple 8 am’s and a night lab.
8. Leaving 45 minutes before class to find parking
Only when it comes to parking are 8 am’s favorable. Otherwise, you must leave 45 minutes before class to get a decent spot and miss the student rush. Leave an hour early on Tuesdays and Thursdays when campus triples in size.
9. Eating right
Whether you’re eating Core every night for dinner, or learning how to cook for yourself, eating is always a struggle. Initial unlimited exposure to dining hall food may seem like a wonderful thing, but the same stir fry, sandwich line and curly fries get old pretty quick.
10. Not being able to spell out Clemson without erupting in the Clemson chant
No college knows school spirit like Clemson. On Fridays we wear orange, and on Saturdays we lean on each other to sing the alma mater. There is nothing like the Clemson spirit in the world, and I am so excited for a whole new class of freshman to get to experience it as well.