Clemson’s toughest road games in 2018

Clemson will hit the road five times in 2018, and the Tigers are eager to claw their way back to the ACC Championship and the College Football Playoff. While it’s not the easiest road to get there, the road schedule sets up well:
5. Georgia Tech (Sept. 22) – Brent Venables’ defense has found the kryptonite to the triple option offense that plagued the Tigers back during the days of Kevin Steele, and even when Venables first got to Clemson. Times have changed, though; as long as the Tigers don’t turn it over like they did in 2014, this should be the Tigers’ fourth win in a row over the Yellow Jackets.
4. Wake Forest (Oct. 6) – Dave Clawson put together back-to-back winning seasons after winning just three games during his first year in Winston-Salem, but the Demon Deacons have not gotten that signature win against Clemson yet. They came close in 2017 at Death Valley, falling 28-14. Can Wake Forest keep this game close into the fourth quarter with the home crowd behind them?
3. Florida State (Oct. 27) – Willie Taggart takes over the reigns in Tallahassee after Jimbo Fisher left to head to Texas A&M. Taggart plans to bring an up-tempo style of offense to the Seminoles, saying it will be “faster than ever.” The questions for the Seminoles will be first concerning their quarterback situation: Do they stay with James Blackman or go back to Deondre Francois? And how will their defense look after losing 7 starters?
2. Boston College (Nov. 10) – The ACC preseason player of the year in A.J. Dillion will face off against a Clemson defensive line, in a deceptively tight matchup. This contest was tied at seven going into the fourth quarter last year, with the Tigers edging out a victory. Clemson should tread the streets lightly or risk slipping up late in the year.
1. Texas A&M (Sept. 8) – For the first time since 2006, the Aggies and the Tigers will kickoff in a huge Week 2 matchup. Jimbo Fisher is now roaming the sidelines for the Aggies, who are in the middle of a quarterback battle between Kellen Mond and Nick Starkel. Which one will lead the Aggies against the No. 2 team in the country? More importantly for Clemson fans, who will lead the Tigers: Kelly Bryant or Trevor Lawrence? This game will not only be the toughest road test for the Tigers, but is key for determining the starting quarterback moving forward.