Clemson University names new police chief

Courtesy of Clemson University
Former Charleston police chief Greg Mullen has been appointed chief of police at Clemson, the school announced Friday.  

Clemson University has a new top cop. 
Greg Mullen has been named the university’s police chief and associate vice president for public safety, the school announced on Friday.
The university appointed Mullen to the role on an interim basis in May. Mullen was appointed to the position on a permanent basis following a nationwide search to fill it, according to a news release.  
“Greg has been here a short time, but he already has shown he can have a positive impact on the Clemson University Police Department and the campus community,” Vice President for Student Affairs Almeda Jacks said. 
Mullen has 30 years of experience in law enforcement, including 11 as chief in Charleston. He led the department through the aftermath of the 2015 Emanuel AME Church shooting. 
Mullen said in a news release that the role is the perfect opportunity for him to utilize his education, training and experience. 
“I understand the importance of balancing public safety while creating an environment where people feel free to enjoy themselves,” Mullen said in a news release. “At Clemson, our goals are to educate students and make sure they go out and impact the world while providing a safe and enjoyable environment for them to grow and enjoy their college experience.”
Mullen replaces former university police chief Jami Brothers, who was named assistant vice president for security planning and business continuity in the Division of Student Affairs earlier this year.