Power Up: 2018 Video Game Releases

1. “Shadow of the Colossus”
The original “Shadow of the Colossus” came out for the PlayStation 2 in 2005, and it has been a classic ever since. The main character’s goal is to find and hunt down colossal monsters, but why? Well, that’s up for the player to decide. This long-anticipated remake comes out this year with incredible updated visuals, graphics, and mechanics.
Release Date: Feb. 6
2. “Sea of Thieves”
Have you ever wanted to run around in a pirate-themed open world, free to privateer or plunder at your leisure? If so, all you have to do is wait until March. “Sea of Thieves” will be the “GTA” of the 1700s, allowing the player to take on swashbuckling quests alone or with friends. Between you and me, I’ve always kind of wanted to be just like Jack Sparrow…
Release Date: March 20
3. “A Way Out”
Most games are single player with or without the option of multiplayer. Games that are multiplayer-only are more focused on the aspect of all players. “A Way Out” is different from all of these options. Gameplay requires two players and two players only. You play as two men, Vincent and Leo, trying to work together to escape prison. This game looks fascinating because there simply isn’t really anything else like it.
Release Date: March 23
4. “Agony”
At last, a horror/thriller game that could actually live up to its hype! Upon starting, the player controls a soul residing in a hellish, well, hell. The goal is to find a way to escape while avoiding the demons and horrifying creatures on the way. The allure is in the player’s ability to possess and control lesser demons to aid in your escape.
Release Date: March 30
5. “Red Dead Redemption 2″Imagine “Grand Theft Auto.” Now imagine it with cowboys in the 1910’s. That’s the whole game. The original “Red Dead Redemption” was critically acclaimed by critics and fans all over for its sprawling open world and rich storytelling. Now, eight years later, “Red Dead Redemption 2” is the sequel and continuation of the original game. It will be interesting to see how this game goes, based on the ending of the first game.
Release Date: Q1/Q2 2018
6. “We Happy Few”
“We Happy Few” exists in an alternate timeline of 1960s England, only with rampant drug use (not that that is really any different than our timeline, in all honesty). However, it’s not drugs in the way that you think. In this indie exploration and survival game, the dystopian society is still reeling from the events of WWII and seeks distraction and relief through “Joy,” a hallucinogenic drug. Though it makes users happy and oblivious, it also leaves them easily-controlled. The main character decides to stop taking the drug, leaving them to view the world as it really is. The concept for this game is fascinating, but its early releases were buggy and lacking. Hopefully, everything will be smoothed out for its final release.
Release Date: Q2/Q3 2018
7. “Kingdom Hearts 3″
If you’ve ever wondered if there was a Disney game done “Final Fantasy” style, then Kingdom Hearts is the franchise for you. The first game was released in 2002, with eight more produced over the next fifteen years. “Kingdom Hearts 3” is the final and extremely-hyped finale to the whole series. There hasn’t been a bad entry in this series, so die-hard fans can’t wait for this game to drop.
Release Date: 2018
8. “Yoshi”
It’s been a while since we’ve gotten a sidescroller from Nintendo, but never fear, Yoshi is here! While this upcoming game doesn’t have an official title yet, “Yoshi” (the working title), is still set to be released this year. Yoshi has had a few turns in the spotlight, the last of which was three years ago, but not nearly as many as his mustachioed friends. “Yoshi” will be similar to previous games, but there is a new element of simulated 3D, or 2.5D, if you will. If it is at all like its predecessors, this will be a game to look forward to.
Release Date: 2018