Top five things you need to know this week: Jan. 22 edition

Bat found inside Hendrix Student Center 

A bat was found inside the Hendrix Student Center last week, according to an Inside Clemson press release. Members of Tiger Media said that the bat was spotted in the Tiger Media suite hallway on Jan. 16. 

The release urges students and faculty who may have made contact with the bat to seek immediate treatment at the Redfern Health Center or go to a local emergency room. Bats and other wild animals can carry rabies and transfer the disease to humans and pets through their bites.

Those who see a bat indoors should not try to remove it themselves. According to the release, “if you are in a residence hall or student housing, contact University Housing at 864-656-5450. If you are in another campus building, contact CUPD at 864-656-2222.” 

Multiple career fairs to be held this week

The Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD) will be hosting campus wide career fairs this week.

Day one will feature employers in the engineering, computing and sciences fields, on Tuesday, Jan. 23 from noon to 5:00 p.m.

Day two will also feature employers in the engineering, computing and sciences fields. It will be on Wednesday, Jan. 24 from noon to 5:00 p.m.

Day three will feature employers in the business, healthcare and communication fields. It will be on Thursday, Jan. 25 from noon to 5:00 p.m. There will also be an education career fair occurring simultaneously.

All of the career fairs will be held in Littlejohn Coliseum. To learn more and view a list of employers who will be in attendance, go to https://tinyurl.com/ybkezukm.

The event is free and open to the public.

Paw Pantry has a new location in Clemson

The Clemson University Paw Pantry has moved into a new space, located in the former P.O.D. market in Harcombe Dining Hall. The move gives the Paw Pantry a larger, more accessible space to operate in. 

The Paw Pantry is an on-campus food pantry and resource center for Clemson University students. The Pantry provides food, hygienic products and school supplies to those in need. It relies completely on donations and is run by volunteers.

The Paw Pantry will continue to operate during its usual hours. To learn more and view the Paw Pantry’s hours, go to https://www.facebook.com/CUpawpantry/ or email [email protected]

To learn more, go to https://tinyurl.com/ybeezrg3.

Clemson 2017 GameDay Recycling Challenge national champion

Clemson University was named the national champion in total recycling as part of the 2017 GameDay Recycling Challenge (GDRC).

Clemson recycled 98,521 pounds of waste during the 2017 season. This is the second time in the last four seasons that Clemson won the total recycling category. 

Seventy colleges and universities came together for the competition to encourage college football fans to recycle and reduce waste. The University of Arkansas, University of Virginia, Louisiana State University and University of Texas rounded out the top five for 2017.

The GDRC is produced through a partnership of the College and University Recycling Coalition, Keep America Beautiful, RecycleMania Inc. and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

New signs installed as part of BOT’s ‘Clemson history’ plan

Clemson University has installed signs in front of 11 historical buildings on campus, as part of the university’s efforts to further inform visitors and students of Clemson’s history.

The signs are the latest example of the work being done by Clemson as result of recommendations developed by the Task Force on the History of Clemson in 2016. The task force was created by Clemson’s Board of Trustees in July 2015. 

Eleven historical markers were placed in front of historically significant buildings on campus. The buildings include Fort Hill (National Historic Landmark), Trustee House, Tillman Hall, Hardin Hall, Godfrey Hall, Holtzendorff Hall, Mell Hall, Sikes Hall, Long Hall, Riggs Hall and Sirrine Hall — all of which are on the National Register of Historic Places.