Clemson athletics for dummies: A look at each of the teams

LUCAS DOWNS // Staff

Nestled in the foothills of South Carolina is one of college athletics’ premier powerhouses. Featuring 19 varsity teams, a multitude of state-of-the-art athletic facilities and an abundance of incredibly talented coaches and athletes, the Clemson athletics program is remarkably well-rounded. Competing in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), Clemson’s teams are consistently in the running for championships. The 2018-2019 season should follow that trend, with Tigertown expected to play host to several highly successful collegiate squads.
    Football
    Clemson’s football program is arguably the most successful of the Clemson athletic teams, with head coach Dabo Swinney developing the team into one of the nation’s most elite football juggernauts over the course of the last decade. Having made the College Football Playoff three seasons in a row now, the Tigers are expected to compete for a national title again in 2018. With two national championships (1981 and 2016) already on its resume, Clemson football will bring a bevy of talent to the table as it returns to action in Death Valley this fall.
    Basketball
    Clemson’s men’s and women’s basketball programs have proud histories of success, and both programs have positive outlooks for the future. Coming off an incredible season in which they greatly exceeded outside expectations and reached the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament, head coach Brad Brownell and the men’s team are primed to carry that momentum forward into the coming season. On the women’s side, a culture change was made with the recent hiring of head coach Amanda Butler, who is expected to help develop a young, talented roster into a very competitive team.
    Baseball
    On the diamond, Clemson baseball has consistently been one of the ACC’s best and brightest teams with Monte Lee at the helm. Expected to compete for a berth in the College World Series year in and year out, the Tigers will be stacked with talent once again this coming season. Meanwhile, Clemson’s softball program is in the process of gearing up for its first season of action. With esteemed head coach John Rittman in place, the new program is slated to take to the field for the first time at the start of the 2020 season.
    Soccer
    Despite losing several veteran leaders to graduation following last season, the Clemson men’s and women’s soccer programs are still poised to accomplish great things this fall. Fresh off NCAA tournament appearances, the teams should be among the best in the ACC. Led by Mike Noonan, the men’s team has consistently produced MLS-caliber talent and sports several skilled youngsters on this year’s team. As for the women’s team, which is coached by Eddie Radwanski, a bevy of top-tier talent from last year’s starting lineup is back in the fray.
    Track & Field
    In the track and field department, head coach Mark Elliott’s squad is coming off a season that saw multiple competitors earn recognition on the national scale. Although several veteran competitors from last year’s squad have graduated, the impeccable depth that Clemson possesses should make for another special season. With the cross country season in the fall, the indoor track and field season in the winter and the outdoor track and field season in the spring, the long season is expected to be fruitful for the Tigers.
    Golf
    The same can be said about the Clemson golf teams. Larry Penley’s men’s squad is coming off a great year that saw its top performer, Doc Redman, showcase his skills at the Masters. The women’s team, coached by Kelley Hester, has continued its ascent in the ACC ranks. A relatively new program, women’s golf finished third at the ACC Championship this past spring. As for the men’s team, which took second place at the ACC Championship, it is expected to admirably compete for its second national title in 2019.
    Tennis
    As for tennis, the 2018-2019 season is a milestone for the Tigers. With the opening of Clemson’s new state-of-the-art tennis center in the fall, the teams will return home for matches after competing at Anderson University this past season while renovations took place. Deep and talented, both the men’s team (coached by John Boetsch) and the women’s team (coached by Nancy Harris) are expected to field NCAA tournament-level competitors this year.
    Volleyball
    Michaela Franklin will take part in her second season as head coach of the Clemson volleyball team this fall. With a solid recruiting class coming in and many important veterans returning, the volleyball program should continue to show improvement this season at Jervey Gym.
    Rowing
    Clemson rowing made its mark during several meets this past season and served as host for the renowned Clemson Invitational, as well as the ACC Championship. Head coach Stephen Frazier Wong’s program has performed admirably in recent years and is expected to do the same this year.
    One of the most well-rounded athletic programs in the NCAA, Clemson has made a substantial impact on the national sports scene under the leadership of athletic director Dan Radakovich and the abundance of other skilled professionals helping to bolster the Clemson Tigers’ brand. The power of the paw is quite strong right now, and, because of that, the winning attitude that has become synonymous with Clemson athletics should continue to pay dividends for years to come.