Clemson parents, here’s how to survive move-in day

There is nothing quite like the hot August day that I first moved into Clemson. I had been preparing for weeks and so had my parents. Although they were excited for me to begin this new chapter of my life, there was a certain amount of sadness I could see developing as move-in day moved closer and closer. I began to get a little apprehensive about leaving the place I’ve always known as (and still call) home. Move-in day is surreal. This will be a day full of emotion and sweat, so here are few tips on how to survive.
    Give the “advice talk” BEFORE leaving.
    This is important. The day before I left, my mom sat down with me and gave me a final “advice talk.” In movies, the talk tends to be after dropping the kid off, but giving it before leaving took a lot of pressure off of both of us. My parents didn’t have to give an emotional talk like that after I was ready for them to leave.
    Unpack.
    Although this is obvious, your kid will try to do it all. From carrying the boxes to making the bed and decorating, even I tried to do it all. We might protest at first, but please insist on making the bed.
    WARNING: Don’t assume that your kid wants something somewhere. Ask them where they want it. This seems really tedious when unpacking a whole room, but letting your kid have that sense of independence makes it easier for the both of you.
    Send a text that night.
    A simple “I love you” or “I’m proud of you” is all you need. It’s nice to have a reminder, even though we know how much you love us. I promise it’s not clingy. If your kid didn’t finish decorating and putting the final touches on their room while you were there, ask for a picture. It’ll make you feel better to see that they are OK, and your kid will be happy to show off their new room.
    Go to the store.
    No matter how much you may have planned and packed or even checked a list twice, there is probably something you forgot. Going to the store is not the worst thing in the world. In fact, it gives you an excuse to spoil your kid with some microwave mac n’ cheese or La Croix. It’s comforting to have some “not dining hall” food for late night snacks.
    It’s OK to cry.
    Although you are very happy and proud of your kid, it’s still a sad day. If your kid cries, don’t think it’s because they don’t want to go to college. Your kid loves you and will miss you, so the natural response is to shed a few tears. Just remember that even though it might be a sad time for you, your kid is really excited to start a new chapter of their life.
    Have plans for when you get home.
    After my family helped me move in, they had plans for when they got home so they didn’t go into an empty house immediately. My mom recommends dinner plans, going to a movie or meeting up with some friends.
    Plan out move-in beforehand.
    Before I moved in, my parents and I sat down and talked about how we wanted the day to go, even down to when I wanted them to leave (this being the hardest part). My mom told me to tell her when it was time, and that made all the difference. Having a plan made the whole day much easier and more meaningful as there were little to no altercations. When it was time for us to part ways for the first time, it was a lot less sad.
    PRO TIP: The best way to leave is not by simply leaving your kid in the room. Maybe ask him or her to walk you out because it makes the leaving part a little more natural.