Tips for registering for classes at Clemson

During orientation, you’ll have the chance to register for your first semester of classes. You’ve probably heard horror stories of students not being able to get the classes they need, but don’t fret — here are some tips to help you out and avoid registration day dilemmas.
    1. Don’t panic!
    We get it. Yesterday, you were focused on what rug would work best in your dorm. Today, you are having to decide which classes to take as you begin your college journey. While planning the start of your college career might seem daunting and stressful, just take a step back and recognize that countless other college students are and have gone through the exact same thing as you. Just know that no matter what, it will all work out in the end!
    2. Talk to your advisor
    You might feel like you have to figure all of this stuff out on your own, but in reality that is what your advisor is there for. Not only do they know a lot about what has worked best for past students, they will also have an inside scoop on what classes work best for your major. Don’t be afraid to ask them for advice — you might be surprised by what you learn!
    3. Make a plan and a back-up plan
    This is something that will be repeated over and over again, but we cannot stress enough that you need to have a plan already set out before your registration time slot opens. It makes registration go by so much faster than typing in the course numbers by hand. It also takes away a lot of stress from the whole situation.
    4. Read up
    When researching what classes you need to take, try to look up the grade distribution and peer reviews of the professors. While you might not always be able to choose a professor, you don’t want to get stuck with the infamous one known for crazy, hard tests with no curve. This will give you an insight as to what the class requires and if you are up for the challenge!
    5. Be realistic
    We know you are trying to do everything in your ability to get out of the dreaded 8 a.m., but ultimately you need to think about what is best for you and the schedule you need to maintain a healthy college career. If that means you need to get that 8 a.m. class in order to be able to workout in the afternoon, then sign up and enjoy. If you prefer to get your workout done in the morning, then sign up for afternoon classes. Remember that you are here to learn the best way you can, so pick a schedule that works for you!