Season Ends for Lady Tigers

Clemson guard Alexis Carter (33) dribbles down the court.
Kim Montuoro

The Clemson women’s basketball team’s season came to a close on Wednesday when they lost to Wake Forest in the first round of the ACC Tournament. The final score was 73 to 58. 

In this game, Sophomore Nelly Perry led the Lady Tigers in scoring with 23 points and six rebounds. Victoria Cardaci added 11 points and Alexis Carter chipped in ten points coming off of the bench. For Wake Forest, Milan Quinn had a double-double with 20 points, 15 rebounds. Ariel Stephenson had 19 points and six rebounds, and Amber Campbell had 15 points, seven rebounds and three steals. 

Clemson Head Coach Audra Smith spoke about the three Wake players, telling media, “Quinn did a fantastic job, and it was difficult for us to guard her. Campbell and Stephenson also played well.” 

The Lady Tigers struggled from the field as a team, shooting just 21 of 73 baskets, making only 28.8 percent of shots. They were also out-rebounded by 54-30. When asked about being out-rebounded, Smith said, “Their post players went to the glass, their guards crashed the glass, and we didn’t.” The 54 rebounds for Wake Forest was a season record. 

With the loss to Wake Forest on Wednesday, the Lady Tigers season ends with a 4-26 record, including a 0-16 conference record. Smith elaborated on the winless ACC record, saying that “the biggest thing that we’ve been trying to do is continuing to teach the game to this young group and continuing to prepare them, game in and game out, for the teams that we’re going

to face.” 

Although the young Lady Tigers couldn’t get a win in ACC play this season, the team is loaded with freshmen and sophomores, hosting only one junior and no seniors. Perry averaged 14 points per game, which was good enough to tie for 14th in scoring in the ACC. 

Freshman Aliyah Collier averaged six rebounds per game, which was good enough for 20th amongst ACC players. 

Freshman Danielle Edwards finished fifth in the ACC in steals, with 2.3 steals per game, and ninth in minutes per game, with 33.2 minutes per game. 

As young players contribute early on in their careers, the future of the Lady Tigers is very bright. With another year under their belt going into next season, the Lady Tigers will be adding three recruits who will look to have an impact on the team in hopes of turning things around

next season. 

The upcoming recruiting class features two three-star prospects according to ESPN — guard Jaia Alexander and guard Siana Fields — as well as four-star forward Kobi Thorton. 

Look for the Lady Tigers to put in a lot of hard work this offseason in hopes of making some noise next season with a more experienced group of players.