Salvation Army in Clemson: Students get weekly discount

Justin Lee Campbell, News Editor

The new Salvation Army offers a 10 percent discount to Clemson students with CUID every Thursday.

Thrift shopping can make the college student’s world go round, and it just got easier in Clemson with the opening of a new Salvation Army (SA). With a 10 percent student discount every Thursday, Salvation Army thrift is an affordable way to quench the shopaholic in you and explore a fun, vintage style without hurting your wallet.

Clemson and the surrounding areas have been without  a Salvation Army store for nearly a year. Las year, the old Salvation Army store was torn down along with Garrett’s shopping center in order to make room for a new housing development for Clemson students.

Previously located off of Anderson Highway between Butler Street and Littlejohn Street, the new store is on Old Greenville Highway across the street from the Bi-Lo Shopping Center.

SA is an all-donation thrift shop, also referred to as a charity shop or family store. This means that all sales are put back into the community, often used to pay for rehabilitation centers for alcohol and drug use. The charity shops themselves offer a wide range of donated products from handbags, hats, books, electronics, furniture, linens, women’s clothing, men’s clothing, children’s clothing, DVDs, Disney VHSs, CDs, shoes and maternity wear. 

Currently, all blue-tag items are a dollar—including dresses and jackets.  

Chelsea Spivey, the market and special events coordinator for Salvation Army in Greenville, Pickens and Oconee Counties said, “Everything you purchase is going straight back into the community and going to someone in need.” 

Spivey continued, “You’re just a disaster away from needing help. It could be anyone that needs help. The Salvation Army serves those in need without discrimination. We’re not going to turn down anyone who has a need.”

Spivey also said that last year, more than 850 people were served by the Salvation Army in Pickens County, According to the Greenville Online, the charity shops are a critical part of the Salvation Army’s fundraising efforts and said, “The Family Stores and our fundraising at Christmas are pretty much the sole fundraising that the Salvation Army does, and they really do support the local community.”

Sarah Rowlinson, a Clemson student who is seeking her Ph.D. in bioengineering, says that she will go to the Salvation Army in Clemson. “I do lots of shopping,” she said. “You can find good deals thrifting. You can find occasional gems.” Rowlinson has also gone to the Salvation Army in Anderson. “I’ll give it a try,” she continued. “I’ll donate and buy.”

Rowlinson believes that giving to people in need is important. “As long as the services are relevant, I think it’s great,” she said. Rowlinson says she will donate items when she does spring cleaning.

Jane, a customer in the new SA, used to shop at the old Salvation Army. She said, “It’s a very nice store. I am so glad they put one back in Clemson.” Jane was carrying a black blouse and browsing women’s clothing section.

The new Salvation Army store is open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Monday through Saturday. The store can be reached at 864-722-5388.