Discover your untapped energy through chakras

Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia

For those familiar with eastern medicine and natural healing remedies, the concept of chakras is nothing new. But, since we are in the U.S., where there is no American or International Association of Chakra Healers, chakras may seem like an abstract idea. 

What are chakras? Well, the word chakra means wheel or disk in Sanskrit, as it resembles an invisible center of spinning energy. That being said, chakras do not have a physical form. As for an introduction to chakras, I will acquaint you with the seven chakras in the human body.

The first chakra, known as the base chakra, is located at the tailbone. Its energy is controlled by the amount of love and affection you received as a child. If this chakra is strong, you will feel grounded and healthy within your body. You will also be skilled at managing practical affairs.

The second chakra is located below the navel. It surrounds sexuality, sociability, friendliness and desire on a broad spectrum. When healthy, this chakra fuels your motivation and desire to achieve personal goals. I don’t know about you, but I could definitely use more motivation to get through finals week.

The third chakra is located above the navel at the solar plexus. All of your digestive organs, except for the large intestine, are located here. This chakra relates to self-esteem and self-worth. Ever have that weird gut feeling? This is the center of your intuition.

The heart chakra is the fourth chakra in your body. And, you guessed it! This chakra governs your ability to give and receive unconditional love. To keep this chakra healthy, you must keep your heart open — even to loss, pain and anger. If you build walls around yourself, you are technically closing up this chakra’s energy.

The fifth chakra, otherwise known as the throat chakra, is at the base of the neck. College of Architecture Arts and Humanities students and professors, this is your center of communication and creativity. Writing, speech and teaching are associated with this chakra.

Now for the third eye chakra — the sixth chakra! To quote Amy Rost’s book, “Natural Healing Wisdom & Know-How,” this chakra is “about your openness to metaphysical knowledge. It relates to your higher intuition, from which all things are known.” What does that even mean? In summary, this chakra keeps you balanced as a whole. You are not afraid of death or attached to physical materials. It is a very spiritual chakra and located in the center of the forehead.

And last but not least, the seventh chakra: the crown chakra located at the top of your head.  When entering the seventh chakra, the person you used to be dies and you are transformed into someone new. There is no existence of ego, and it serves as a connection to our higher selves. It is the divine energy that creates everything in the universe.