Sitting down with the Clemson5

Rowan Lynam/Editor in Chief

The #Clemson5 (left to right): Rae-Nessha White, A.D. Carson, Ian Anderson, Khayla Williams and DJ Smith

The Tiger News (TTN): Why did you stay inside Sikes?

Rae-Nessha White (RW): Why not? 

I wasn’t doing it for me; I was sacrificing for others. I was at peace with the decision I made.

TTN: What is your overall impression of the sit-in?

“I think we’re here for the right reasons and with the right purpose, and I think we’re doing what we need to do, and we’re where we’re supposed to be. 

A university should be ashamed of itself when students have to choose between academics and social justice.

TTN: What do you like to do for fun?

“I spend a lot of my time writing and spending time with my family.”

TTN: Why did you stay inside Sikes?

Ian Anderson (IA) : I saw so many people have these transformative experiences with other people. I would bring someone in, and I’d watch them come and sit down and start talking … Some have broken down in tears … I don’t have a reason that I could have ever not stayed …”

IA: Everything here is going on as a way to fight inequality … and inequity and to show that we want change … We want real action from the university. And it is not just the incident with the bananas, but it is continued incidents.

TTN: What do you like to do for fun?

IA: I bike around here a lot … I’m really into mountain-biking and road-biking … I’ll be the next music director for WSBF.

TTN: Why did you stay inside Sikes?

Darien Jamal Smith (DS): Just by the definition of protesting, it’s not necessarily asking for permission to protest. I knew the consequences that could’ve come and that possibly were coming, and … I decided to continue the protest.”

DS: There’s just this huge sense of community out here that I’ve never seen replicated anywhere at Clemson … we’re having really intense dialogues and conversations with each other …”

TTN: What do you like to do for fun?

DS: I really like sitting outside, putting on my headphones and listening to some music and then just reading a book. That’s a really calming thing for me to do.”

TTN: Why did you stay inside Sikes?

A.D. Carson (AC): Because the purpose was to stay here until there was a response, and there wasn’t. And so we committed to the cause. It was important to note that that wasn’t my own individual action. That’s about the group.

AC: I think that folks who haven’t come out here need to know that it’s been an extremely diverse place, and it’s been really peaceful, and it’s been really, really beautiful that so many folks have been able to meet people that they never previously had opportunities [to meet] or even in a lot of ways presume they had nothing to talk about, and now they’re sitting down and having conversations.

TTN: What do you like to do for fun?

AC: Fun. That’s a concept. I write poetry and make music.

Khayla Williams was unavailable for interview for this article due to extenuating circumstances. Below are quotes that she gave in another interview and the meeting with the Dean of Students’ office Wednesday.

Update (April 19, 2016 at 9:40 a.m.): 

TTN: Why did you stay inside Sikes?
KW: When we first entered we were told by administration that we could stay as long as we wanted, I wasn’t ready to go. Also we had an agreement that when they presented the document we would be given the opportunity to look over it with the community. I wanted that opportunity. 

KW: I am overwhelmed with joy. The new Political and Multicultural Center has brought the campus together in ways that I could have never imagined. 

TTN: What do you like to do for fun?
 I really love working on computers and taking gadgets apart. I also like to read books about roller coasters. I also like going home to spend time with my family and cooking on the grill while my dogs run around the yard.

April 14, 2016 (before arrest): KW: We’re here to see change …I’m really out here because administration has been sitting in their office so we decided it’s time to come sit in their offices with them, at least in the building of their offices. And let them know that we’re not going anywhere until you really do the job that you’re paid to do. And that’s listening to us, making this campus better for all of us. 

April 12, 2016 (Hendrix Ballroom): KW: “Historically, one of the names that Africans were called to diminish their self-worth was monkey…and to see a emblem on a monument of sorts that was disrespectful.”