Give Day allows Clemson family to give back

Clemson Give Day took place on Wednesday from 12:01 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. Give Day provided the Clemson family with the opportunity to show their financial support for the university. 
The Will to Lead capital campaign began in 2006 to raise financial support for Clemson faculty and students by the Clemson University Foundation. During the tail-end of what some economists have called the Great Recession, Clemson alumni and friends exceeded the goal of $600 million in 2012 by almost $9 million, according to the Will to Lead campaign. 
Clemson established 357 scholarships and fellowships to students, increased student engagement opportunities such as the Creative Inquiry program and established 95 new endowed chairs, professorships and faculty support using these funds. 
The gifts and donations from staff, alumni, supporters, faculty and students totaled $903,883.76 on Wednesday, according to a Clemson media release.. This total will help Clemson reach the private fundraising goal of $105 million to support the Will to Lead campaign. Some of the donors included a couple that pledged $100,000 and Hubbell Lighting Inc., a corporate leader who donated $10,000 that will help provide for five $2,000 scholarships. 
In all, there were more than 3,000 donors who contributed on Give Day. More than half of the donations were given online. 
On Twitter, there were 1,608 posts about Give Day. Clemson Vice-President for Development and Alumni Relations Brian O’Rourke said, “We asked the Clemson Family and friends to help support the university on Give Day, and they did that and more. Their generosity exceeded our expectations. We thank them on behalf of our present and future students who are the ultimate beneficiaries of these gifts,” according to the Clemson newsstand. O’Rourke thanked the donors “for helping us get one step closer to the end zone of our Will to Lead capital campaign. Your gifts will leave a lasting impact.” 
The campaign’s goal is to raise $1 billion.