Shark Week: 2nd annual music festival and blood drive begins Monday

It’s Shark Week—but this time Discovery Channel has nothing to do with it. Clemson’s own student-run radio station, WSBF-FM, is throwing its annual Shark Week event, featuring a Pledge Drive and Music Festival.

According to WSBF’s Twitter account, this event is a call to the Clemson family to help ensure its future as a radio station. Due to budget cuts, and what WSBF calls an “aging FM transmitter,” community support is the only way their station will survive. “WSBF is the upstate’s number one student-run source for alternative media & news and we especially love playing the best music you’ve never heard, but we cannot do it without your help!” said WSBF on their Twitter page.

Jordyn Schirippa, a sophomore communication studies major, expressed her love for the unique music WSBF plays, saying, “I love music that isn’t very ‘popular’ because I feel like music loses some of its uniqueness when it’s overplayed. Also, I feel like everything on mainstream radio sounds the same and music on a local station tend to be more original.” Other students who share a love for unique music have the opportunity to help WSBF continue providing great entertainment to the Clemson community.

This year’s Shark Week is not only on-campus, but has expanded to off-campus locations. Events will take place in locations such as CU underground, the Botanical Gardens, Kung FU Cantina and the CU amphitheater while showcasing music advertised as the best hidden talent in the area.

“The beauty of Shark Week is that there’s something for everyone” said Jessica Martin, Shark Week’s promotions manager. Martin’s comment is reinforced by the festival’s schedule, which features multiple genres, including Hip Hop, Electronic, Folk and Indie Rock.

“I’m most excited to see Auspice perform on Friday. This is the first time that Atlanta native pop-punk band is going on tour, and we are lucky enough to host them,” said Martin, adding that she was happy to have a band here at Shark Week that she plays on “It’s Not A Phase, Mom,” her pop-punk radio show.

All events are free with a cash or blood donation, which can be made at the blood drive from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Horseshoe. To check out the #WSBFSharkWeek schedule and make a donation, go to http://wsbf.net/donate.