Get your paws on some grub at Paw’s Diner

Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia

Southerners know that you don’t cook meals; you fix ‘em. 

Paw’s Diner in Clemson has been fixing breakfast, lunch and supper how it should — country-style cooking. Momma has always told me southern cooking makes you good-looking, so maybe that’s why I eat a lot of country cooking from this diner. 

From breakfast at 6 a.m. to supper at 9 p.m., you cannot go wrong with stopping in at Paw’s. 

Try a breakfast plate for $4.25. It comes with sausage or bacon with grits and toast or a biscuit. Also, in the morning you can get gravy biscuits. Mind your own biscuits, and life will be gravy, darlings. 

For lunch and supper, my favorite thing to get is the meat and three sides for $6.25. I always get chicken fingers with macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes with gravy and fried okra. It also includes a biscuit or cornbread. Where I am from, it’s not lunch or supper unless you have bread sopping up the leftovers on your plate. However, if you’re not a chicken fingers type of person like I am, then they have seafood and steak as well for very reasonable prices. You can eat at Paw’s on a McDonald’s budget.

Their macaroni and cheese puts me in hog heaven because it is licking-the-plate good. The portions of food are enough to feed me and another person, but sorry, I’m not going to share.

Personally, it’s hard being away from Grandma’s cooking. I miss my grandma’s rice and gravy and fried okra, but life gets a little easier when I can go to Paw’s Diner for a good home-cooked meal. Grandma may not be standing in the kitchen threatening to hit us with the frying pan if we don’t stop nibbling on the fried chicken, but Paw’s Diner is a pretty close second choice.

The service is always friendly, and it doesn’t hurt that you can eat and leave a nice tip to your friendly waitress for all under $10.00. It’s like getting away from the hustle and bustle of town to go sit in a little diner that feels like home.

If you need a good meal, whether breakfast, lunch or supper during the crazy week of finals, then head on over to Paw’s Diner. Also, with it being time to move out and as parents come to help, you can take them to Paw’s. This diner has a great family atmosphere, and your parents and little siblings will thank you for introducing them to a great spot to eat the next time they’re in town. You won’t regret it, and they will be forever thankful to you.

However, I’m going to warn you not to take all of the macaroni and cheese; leave some for me, please!