Women’s Basketball Falls to 4-22 Season

Kim Montuoro, staff
Paige Mosley (14) shoots at a home game earlier this year. 

The Tigers were unable to secure a win Thursday night in Jervey Gym against the Boston College Eagles. 

The Eagles held strong, shooting consistently and sinking three pointers when needed. Boston College led 36-26 after the half, and the Tigers were unable to gain a lead for the duration of the game. The Tigers came up short as time expired and the scoreboard read 67-64 allowing the Eagles to advance 14-12, 2-11 on the season, and the Tigers fall to 4-22, 0-13.

Despite the Tigers’ loss, Natalie Perry had the biggest game of her career. She shot a career high of 33 points making her the first Tiger to score more than 30 points in a single game since the 2008 season. 

Perry also had five assists and no turnovers in her 38 minutes of playing time on the court. She is now tied for the most points by an ACC player this season. This is also just the fifth time in school history that a Clemson player scored over half of the team’s points in a basketball game.

Coach Audra Smith noted that she was incredibly proud of her player. “[Perry] can do that every night if she wants to,” she said. “I challenged her to go score 30 points tonight and she stepped up to the challenge in a big way.”

Victoria Cardaci stood out to Coach Smith as well. She made four three-point shots in the game.

“I cannot say enough about Victoria Cardaci,” Coach Smith said. “She does exactly what I ask her to do and for her to be in double-figures is phenomenal.”

Cardaci has made at least one three-point shot in each of the last six games she has played in.

The key takeaway from the game was that the team has intentions on correcting their errors and stepping up in the future. 

Both Perry and Cardaci rose to the challenges Coach Smith put in front of them and contributed to the scoring success of their team. 

There is a lot to be said about the effort this team has put into their season although the results aren’t representative of that.

The Tigers will travel to Charlottesville to face off against Virginia (14-13, 4-9) on Feb. 21.