Tigers Sting Yellow Jackets: Clemson defeats Georgia Tech 66-52

Savannah N. Miller, Photo Editor
Donte Grantham (15) dribbles the ball at a home game. 

As many as 12,000 fans packed the Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville on Saturday to watch the Tigers take on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. After two consecutive losses against Virginia Tech and Notre Dame last week, Clemson was looking to stay in the hunt for an NCAA Tournament bid.

Clemson kept the lead for most of the game; one that Georgia Tech was unable to keep up with. Clemson’s defense kept Georgia Tech to 34.5 percent shooting which helped them win 66-52. 

Coach Brad Brownell noted that his team’s defense was a major reason for Saturday’s success, highlighting that their “defense activity was outstanding” and giving credit to Avry Holmes for his six steals. The team had ten steals combined throughout the game.

Brownell got his 50th win against an ACC team against the Yellow Jackets, but continued to give credit to his team’s opponents. 

“To be fair to Georgia Tech, the final score was not indicative of the game at all, the game was closer than the score and that happens in a lot of games,” Brownell said. Every time Clemson’s lead grew, Georgia Tech redoubled efforts to close the gap. 

Ultimately, though, the Tigers were able to sustain their lead. Georgia Tech spent the game keeping up with the Tigers, but after missing 10 consecutive shots in the latter half of the game, never cut the point deficit to less than five. 

Jaron Blossomgame, a huge impact player for the Tigers, scored 17 points and reached over 1,000 career points Saturday to help the team advance to 15-10 overall and 8-5 in the ACC. Blossomgame has played 35 to 40 minutes in each of the last five games and has had more than 20 points in six of the last eight games, including his 30-point game against Notre Dame. He may finish

the season as a top five ACC player for his

scoring average.

Other impact players for the Tigers include Jordan Roper with 15 points and Gabe Devoe who had nine rebounds.

Clemson will host Boston College (7-17) Wednesday night at 7 p.m.