Letter To The Editor

I am writing because the article “Formation or Disorganization?” is racist and ignorant. The writer does not seem to understand that, as a white person, she is not entitled to always have songs that always make her feel “empowered.” Beyoncé is singing about her culture and the experiences of the black community, especially in the south — experiences that are extremely relevant. 

I am sorry if the writer felt “scared” to finally see the reality of what black people in the south have to deal with. She has no right to comment on the song because the song is not for her. It is a song for the black community, and I frankly do not understand why she was allowed to write an article expressing her seriously ignorant opinion. 

Then to make it worse, she reduced Beyoncé’s incredibly powerful message about black lives and culture to what Beyonce was wearing and said, “Jay-Z should have told her to stop.” 

Can we please move past objectifying women and undermining their legitimate arguments and acting as though they are subordinate to men? This blatant lack of understanding of black culture, women’s empowerment and white entitlement epitomizes everything that is wrong with Clemson and the south as a whole.