Letter From the Editor: The importance of voting

In the midst of this political season, encouragements to actively participate in the systems that govern us are often met with a kind of ambivalence. You may not see the virtue in casting a vote in the national election, which has so many voices involved, though I would encourage you to see otherwise. However, one cannot deny how important it is to cast your vote in the elections taking place on our own campus. 
In a community of only thousands, the Clemson Undergraduate Student President and Vice President represent a tangible connection between the student body and the administration —  a link between ourselves and those who make policy decisions on our behalf. 
The decisions about academic policy, student fees and student life are made by a student government many do not know — and by students many wouldn’t recognize. As members of the Clemson community with a significant investment in the direction the University moves in, it’s our obligation to be engaged and involved. 
Voting is the closest many of us will ever get to direct representation, to having our voices heard by people who can enact change. There is no guarantee that the next President of the United States will read your email, find time to answer your letters or react directly to your concerns. But there is a real potential for the Student Body President and Vice President to engage with us directly. There is real potential for concerns that you have to be addressed and for change that you believe in to take place.
As a member of the community and as a student of our university, you cannot stay silent about the things that matter to you. A political body is only as good as the voices that offer it critique.
No matter which campaign you choose to support, what stance you might take or what direction you see for the university, it’s critical to make your voice heard. You are a part of the Clemson community, and you deserve to have a say in the way it governs you.

Rowan Lynam, Editor-in-Chief