Lady Tigers Set to Take On Boston College

Kim Montuoro, staff

Clemson women’s basketball takes on the Boston College Eagles Thursday night in Jervey Gym. The Tigers have struggled to out-score their competitors this season and have been dealt a 4-21 overall record. 

The team is eager to end their 13-game losing streak. They’ve also got the most underclassman of any team in the ACC, with only one junior, seven sophomores and six freshmen. The team’s relative youth may explain how hard they’ve had to work to compete against teams like Notre Dame, Florida State and Syracuse, as well as the reasoning behind the 13 different starting lineup combinations used throughout this season. 

The Boston College Eagles have had a fairly successful season, going 13-12, but have struggled to compete in the ACC and have won only one game there this season: one more than the Tigers have. They are looking to end a seven game losing streak as they travel down to South Carolina to take on the Tigers.  

The statistics of these two teams are somewhat similar. The Tigers are averaging 51.6 points per game and accounting for 33.5 rebounds per game to the Eagles 60 points per game and 33.3 rebounds per game. 

Each of these two teams know how to get points on the board and each have leaders who average 14 points per game. 

Clemson’s Nelly Perry, who has increased her point average from 6.1 to 14.1 points per game, is a huge threat to the Eagles defense in this game along with Danielle Edwards. Kelly Hughes and Mariella Fasoula are also averaging 14 points a game for the Eagles, and are leaders in numerous categories on their team including scoring, three point field goals, free throws, rebounds and steals. 

If the Tigers can halt these two players, they will be at a huge advantage throughout the game.  

The last time these two teams played each other was last year at the Conte Forum in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts where five Eagles scored double figures and beat the Tigers 68-53. Thursday will be the 13th time these two teams have faced each other as the Tigers hope to add a win to their schedule and become 5-8 overall against the Eagles.