Tiger golf teams continuing rich tradition

Clemson’s golf program has a rich history of tremendous success on the fairway, and this season the expectations are very high. Coming off of a conference championship, the men’s team is competing for a national title in the

2016-17 season. 

As for the women’s team, a new head coach is in the fray, Kelley Hester taking the helm. Hester is quickly making an impact, as the women’s team is off to a solid start. On the men’s side, per usual, longtime head coach Larry Penley has his squad living up to the billing.

In the midst of Clemson’s highly successful 2015-16 season, Penley was quoted as saying, “Our goals will never change. I’d like to win another national championship. I’d love to win another ACC Championship. 

Those are always goals, to me, that are very obtainable because we’re here. We’re at Clemson.” The Tigers proceeded to claim the ACC Championship title and perform admirably in the NCAA Tournament. 

So far this fall, the Tigers have shone vividly under the spotlight, recently coming back from a 12-shot deficit to win the Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic. A 24-team tournament in Hawaii, the Ka’anapali event was Clemson’s first signature tournament of the season. Shooting a team record 264 in the final round, the Tigers wowed in Maui by pulling off one of the biggest comebacks in

program history. 

Currently ranked 20th in the nation, Clemson has impressed at several tournaments in the early portion of the season. In September, the

Tigers won the Jackrabbit, a tournament in Nebraska. 

Led by star freshman Doc Redman, Clemson has produced some great scores this fall. Redman shot a 64 in the final round of the Ka’anapali Classic, a Clemson record, and is on track to break a multitude of records throughout what should be an excellent collegiate career. As for the team as a whole, Clemson appears primed for a postseason run, perhaps one of national

championship proportions. 

Hester has begun her Clemson coaching career on the right foot, with the Tigers performing well in their early tournaments, including a third-place finish at the season-opening Schooner Fall Classic. Sophomore Alice Hewson set a 54-hole program scoring record in that tournament and has since established herself as an elite golfer ready to lead the Tigers. 

Last month, the Tigers took fourth place at the Greenville Regional Preview and are well on their way to competing for the ACC crown. 

Former standout junior college prospect Sydney Legacy is now a Tiger and, combined with Hewson and the other talented women on the roster, she could make that a reality.

All in all, the future is stunningly bright for Clemson golf. 

The men’s team last won the national championship in 2003 but could

put an end to that drought this season. 

The women’s team is already making noise under Hester, who put

together a phenomenal track record of harnessing talent at Arkansas and Furman, and could be at that high level in the near future, too. One thing is for certain, though. 

With two proverbial aces in the hole for head coaches, Clemson’s

golf teams are destined for ample success on the green for years to come.