Clemson Impact Players: Young Players Leaving Their Mark

The Clemson Tigers have been clicking on all cylinders as of late on offense and have also experienced their fair share of success on the defensive end. Although the usual suspects have been the driving forces behind the Tigers’ recent stellar play, several underrated impact players have served as valuable contributors, too.

True freshman wide out Cornell Powell has been forced to gradually earn more playing time as the season has progressed, simply because of the incredible depth and skill that the Tigers boast at the wide receiver position. Powell has come on strong in recent weeks, hauling in five pivotal catches for 44 yards against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. 

With size, speed and great hands, Powell will almost certainly develop into one of the Tigers’ top receivers in the near future.

On the defensive side of the ball, senior defensive tackle Scott Pagano has been a force to be reckoned with in the backfield in the past few games. In Clemson’s matchup with the Boston College Eagles, Pagano accrued four tackles, including one for a loss. 

Redshirt freshman defensive end Clelin Ferrell has also continued to wreak havoc in the pass rushing department, picking up six tackles in the game versus the Louisville Cardinals. 

In the Clemson secondary, sophomore cornerback Mark Fields has been playing very effectively in the defensive secondary throughout the season. In Clemson’s Week 6 romp of Boston College, Fields collected his first career interception. Additionally, sophomore safety Van Smith has maintained his high level of play, picking up eight solo tackles against the Eagles. 

With a frenetic playing style, Smith has been excellent at roaming the field and coming up with key tackles.

Phenomenal freshman running back Tavien Feaster is quickly bursting onto the scene. His electrifying 45 yard run against BC was perhaps the biggest play of his budding collegiate career, and it showcased just how beastly he is coming out of the backfield. Furthermore, Feaster has been a valuable commodity in the return game since this season’s inception.

All in all, the Tigers are teeming with amazing talent, and the names listed from top to bottom of the depth chart are jaw-dropping. 

Of course, the superstars, such as quarterback Deshaun Watson and defensive tackle Christian Wilkins, are the primary factors behind Clemson’s success, but the impact players are invaluable members on the Tigers’ quest for a national championship.