Tucker Hipps Transparency Act instituted in Clemson Greek life

O​

n September 29, Dean of Students Dr. Chris Miller sent out an email regarding the new Tucker Hipps Transparency act approved before the start of the 2016 school year. The act requires all South Carolina public schools update a website informing the community of conduct violations happening in campus organizations, particularly in Greek life. 
The email reminded students the act’s purpose on Clemson’s campus. 
“In compliance with the Tucker Hipps Transparency Act,” said Miller’s email reads, “Clemson University publicizes the outcomes of student organization conduct online for violations of Alcohol, Drugs, Hazing, Harm to Person (physical assaults), and sexual misconduct.”
The bill is named for Clemson student Tucker Hipps, a freshman who pledged Sigma Epsilon Fraternity in the fall of 2014. Hipps was found dead in Lake Hartwell after a morning run with the other pledges.
Gary Wiser, the Clemson Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life, said that the act will bring light to not just the Greek life on campus, but other organizations as well. 
“So we worked it out with university so that all organizations are included. It’s not just fraternities and sororities that participate in these kinds of activities,” said Wiser, “The spirit of the transparency act is to bring light onto the risky behaviors that are going on in those organizations.”
Wiser said that he has been talking with the other public universities, particularly his colleagues in College of Charleston and University of South Carolina about how they can better the Tucker Hipps Transparency process. 
“We have been communicating about how to handle this, and how we can work together,” said Wiser. 
As of right now, the Clemson Office of Ethical and Community standards has a link on their front page labeled “Tucker Hipps Transparency Act” to see the of violations relating to all organizations on campus. 
The Greek organizations under violation are listed on the Fraternity and Sorority Life Website. 
All organizations are recorded to date back to 2012. The list will be updated every semester.
“It’s better to paint the full picture for our students,” said Wiser, “making sure that they are able to make informed decisions about the organizations that they would like to join.”
If students want to learn more about the Tucker Hipps Transparency Act, or see what organizations are in violation, they can visit the Clemson OCES