Clemson Cross Country Aiming to Make Noise This Fall

Under the direction of head track and field coach Mark Elliott and cross country coach Michael Porter, the Clemson Tigers cross country teams are off to a solid start, looking to build off of the success experienced in recent seasons.
    Led by promising freshman Logan Morris and proven senior Grace Barnett, the women’s cross country team is rich in talent. Morris impressed from the beginning, finishing fifth at the Eye Opener Invitational and helping the Tigers earn an overall second place finish.
    As for Barnett, the 2015 All-ACC runner has dealt with a serious foot issue since the spring but has since overcome the injury and returned to action. Barnett was named ACC Performer of the Week after placing higher than any other ACC competitor at the Panorama Farms Invitational in Charlottesville, Virginia two weeks ago. With a 5K time of 17:17 in her first race since the NCAA Indoor Championships in March, Barnett reiterated just how good she really is in her return.
    While it would have been understandable for Barnett to go through an assimilation period, the heart and soul of Clemson’s women’s cross country team wasted no time in epitomizing why she is a superstar.
    Now in her senior cross country season, Barnett is definitely looking to experience plenty of success. Recently saying that it “truly has been a dream come true” to run for Clemson’s cross country program, Barnett is aiming to up her performance from last year in this year’s regionals, all in the hope of earning a spot in nationals.
    On the men’s side, sophomore Micah Williams is guiding the Tigers to a solid start. Finishing fifth at the Furman Invitational in early September, Williams is one of the many bright, young talents on the men’s team. Freshman Andrew Emery has burst onto the scene in recent weeks, finishing in the top 60 of the recent Panorama Farms Invitational. Like the women’s team, expectations are high surrounding the men’s team for the rest of the season.
    With the NCAA Pre-Nationals on the horizon, the Tigers will be looking to capitalize on some of the quality performances put together in September. Boasting several of the ACC’s top runners, the cross country team should definitely perform well for the remainder of the fall and should also play a major role at the ACC Championships in Raleigh on October 28. Stay tuned.