Clemson Impact Players For Louisville Game

Ashley Stout, staff

Sophomore Deon Cain (8) had four receptions for 98 yards and two touchdowns.

The Clemson Tigers’ 42-36 victory over the Louisville Cardinals was a total team effort, one requiring a clutch offensive performance in the late game and a defensive stand worth of the ages in the game’s waning minutes. Of course, the usual stars shined the brightest for the Tigers on Saturday night. Quarterback Deshaun Watson threw five touchdown passes, including the game-winner with just over three minutes remaining.
Outside linebacker Ben Boulware came to play, as well, compiling 18 total tackles, three of which were for a loss, including one sack. However, there were three impact players in particular who helped complement the notable names to lead the Tigers to a huge conference victory.
In what was definitely the best, most pivotal performance of his college career, sophomore wide-out Deon Cain hauled in two touchdown grabs in the game against Louisville, serving as a formidable deep threat throughout the matchup. His first multi-touchdown game, the win over the Cardinals also effectively served as Cain’s introduction to the national limelight. Totaling 98 receiving yards on four catches, Cain was the game’s leading receiver and a definite impact player.
Junior cornerback Marcus Edmond has been a valuable member of the Clemson secondary this season, and his shining moment came against Louisville. With under a minute to play, on a fourth and 12 at the Clemson 14-yard line, Edmond found himself in a one-on-one footrace with Louisville wide receiver James Quick when Quick caught a short pass and bolted for first down yardage.
He never got it, though, as Edmonds pushed Quick out of bounds short of the line to gain. Forcing a turnover on downs as a result, Edmonds became an instant Clemson hero. Edmonds compiled eight solo tackles on the night and was a stalwart in the defensive backfield.
Clemson’s defense was particularly effective at limiting Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson’s running room on Saturday, and the pass rush was in full effect, as the Tigers finished with five sacks and nine quarterback hurry-ups. Defensive end Clelin Ferrell was especially effective, sacking Jackson twice. The redshirt freshman defensive end has been perhaps the most significant pleasant surprise of the Tiger defense thus far this season, serving as a constant threat in the backfield. Although Clemson’s defensive line has been laden with veteran starters in recent years, Ferrell is proving that freshman defensive linemen can make a major impact for the Tigers, too.
Several Tigers stepped up in major ways on Saturday night against the Cardinals, and, so far in 2016, Clemson has proved to be strong at every position on the field. Featuring a perfect concoction of size and speed, as well as experience and youth, the Tigers’ depth chart is exceptionally impressive and talented from top to bottom.
It seems a little too good to be true that two reserves could be the X factors for their respective sides of the ball in a game of that magnitude, but Cain and Edmonds were just that this past weekend.
That speaks volumes on the depth of Clemson and the impact players that help make the team so great.