Truck on over to Highway 301 by Brackett

On Tuesdays, and Tuesdays only, Table 301 sends their trusty truck over in front of Brackett Hall to feed the hungry masses that congregate during lunch. Personally, I had seen the truck before, but wasn’t really sure what it was. Table 301, the owner of the Highway 301 trucks, is a business based out of Greenville that has branched out into the food truck business. It seems that business is booming.

This Tuesday, I went out to Brackett to see what all the hubbub was about. The truck was parked right up next to the walkway in order to better service customers. The truck sensibly had a large awning over the service window so customers could stay out of the blistering heat from the sun. Off to the right was a sandwich board advertising the truck’s wares to the passerby. Highway 301 had a selection of four different types of sandwiches, with the option to add Cajun fries or a drink for extra. I decided to go with the “Pig On A Bun.”

The sandwich that I chose consisted of pulled pork, blueberry chipotle barbeque sauce and jalapeno-apple cole slaw on a browned brioche bun. I chose this sandwich because it’s really hard to go wrong with pulled pork, and I had also never tried or heard of blueberry chipotle sauce. Now, I’m not exactly a huge fan of cole slaw. I can’t stand the stuff at all by itself. I just find it too bitter. But let me tell you: when I bit into this sandwich, the disappointment that is cole slaw was forgotten to the delicious and strangely conflicting tastes of the pork and sauce. Despite them seeming to be opposites, it looks like Highway 301 somehow made it work.

The meat was very tender and juicy, but not to the point where it would fall apart at the touch. The sweet hints from the blueberry sauce pleasantly accented the meat. There was, however, a disappointing lack of smokiness that usually comes with barbecue. The brioche bun was great too: it wasn’t too dry and didn’t take up too much of the sandwich. The fact that it was browned and probably would have tasted great on its own was a plus, too. The only complaint I had about the structure of the sandwich was that it was very greasy and fell apart easily. The bun did not absorb much of the grease, so the meat and everything else was free to slide right out. Otherwise, it was an awesome sandwich!

One thing you should know before you decide to hike over to Brackett next Tuesday is that the menu items Highway 301 offers aren’t exactly on the cheap side. The sandwich I purchased was $7 by itself. The small tea I bought with it was $2. In relation to size, you aren’t really getting what you paid for, but the quality of the sandwich I had almost made up for the high price. I’m told that the $2 of Cajun fries are definitely worth it, and I might have to give those a try next time.