Alt-Right spokesperson and free speech funadmentalist to visit Clemson

In recent months, the Alt Right movement has burst onto the scene as an alternative to mainstream conservatism. Accused of anti-Semitism and White Supremacy, the Alt-Right grounds its beliefs in opposition to both legal and illegal immigration. According to an interview with NPR, the movement finds political correctness to be “the greatest threat to their liberty.”
The self-proclaimed leader of the alt-right movement, Milo Yiannopoulos, is coming to Clemson on October 18.
Milo was recently banned from Twitter for life after inciting what a Twitterspokesperson called “targeted abuse” and “harassment.” In an interview with Nightline’s Terry Morgan, Yiannopoulos argued that it’s not his approach to criticism that’s revolting, but “what’s revolting is the idea now that you can tell women they’ll be happy and healthy at any size. Why? Because it tells women that you can be fat and you can be unattractive and you can be happy anyway. That’s a lie.”
Currently on a college campus tour promoting free speech, Yiannopoulos isalso raising money for a scholarship fund for white men. Currently over $100,000 has been raised, but presently not a single scholarship has actually been granted, according to an article published by the Daily Beast.
Clemson’s free-speech advocacy group WeRoar invited Yiannopoulos to speak at Clemson, in an event entitled “Make Clemson Great Again.” According to WeRoar, the event is projected to host over 800 attendees. This, in conjunction with several student protests on campus, is a part of WeRoar’s movement to end “Free Speech Zones” on college campuses.
Clemson has not had student “Free Speech Zones” since 2006, in response to student protests. Non-students, however, must register their intent to participate in “free speech activities” beforehand, which may be carried out in areas determined by the VP of Student Affairs. 
Campus Reform reports that Clemson students are “already” planning protests to the event.
Clemson spokesman Mark Land commented on the controversy caused by Yiannopoulos’ impending visit to campus. “As an educational institution, Clemson is committed to providing an environment where a full range of viewpoints and opinions can be aired in a civil and respectful manner, even if those opinions are unpopular or distasteful to some within our university community,” Land said.
Tickets are $10, and available at MakeClemsonGreatAgain.eventbrite.com.