Womens Soccer Led by Veterans: Atanda, Sheridan leading the charge for Clemson

Ashley Stout, Contributor

Senior Catrina Atanda (11) has five goals so far this season.

The Clemson Tigers women’s soccer team is 4-2 and has shown signs of improvement with each game this season. This being said, one of the program’s primary stalwarts, Catrina Atanda, is the undisputed driving force behind the team.
The senior attacking midfielder has already scored five goals this season and has led the charge for the offense. A senior, Atanda is assuredly looking to make some noise in the NCAA Tournament this year, but, needless to say, the season is very long. Therefore, the Tigers need to build upon the momentum that Atanda has helped create for the team, which defeated the High Point Panthers 4-1 on Friday night.
Atanda has already accrued 15 shots on goal and is a constant threat inside of the penalty area. As the senior leader of the field players, Atanda’s efforts have been bolstered by senior goalkeeper Kailen Sheridan.
The sure-handed goalie recently competed with the Canadian national team at the Olympics in Rio. As a result, she missed the start of the season but has played well since returning to action with the Tigers. With 13 saves thus far, Sheridan is doing an excellent job of protecting the net and has some skilled players playing in front of her that have helped make her job easier.
Recently speaking on Sheridan and how the team as a whole stacks up, head coach Eddie Radwanski told the media, “There are 10 players in front of her that know what they’re doing. So if we do what we’re supposed to do, and play the way we’re capable to be, goal keeping’s not going to be our issue.”
The Tigers are off to a solid start but assuredly know that there is still work to be done if a run to the College Cup in December is going to become a reality. But, with two star seniors in Atanda and Sheridan, Clemson’s chances of making that special postseason run are favorable. The Tigers are set to take on Wake Forest in a road game this Friday in what will be Clemson’s conference opener.