Update on cottages shooting, shooter in custody, cottages to increase security

The Pickens County Sheriff’s Office has arrested a man in connection to the shooting of a Tri-County Tech student at a party over the weekend.

21-year-old Jackson Quaid Rowland, of Chapin, SC, is charged with attempted murder and possession of a weapon during a violent crime. He is currently being detained at the Pickens County Detention Center.

The 21-year-old victim, from Pomaria, SC, remains hospitalized for a gunshot wound to the neck and head area. He is expected to recover from his injuries.

Deputies were dispatched to the Cottages of Clemson, located on Smoke Rise Drive in Central, SC, around midnight after reports of gunfire in the complex. Witnesses say that the victim and the shooter were attending a party being held at 102 Sunrise Lane, which is located inside the Cottages complex.

According to the sheriff’s office, a crowd of 500 to 1000 people were present when a physical confrontation erupted. The victim was on the ground when one round was discharged, striking him.

21-year-old Daniel Heath Dixon, of Lexington, SC, was also charged with accessory after the fact. He is accused of helping to clean and hide the gun used during the incident. He was arrested on Sunday and is currently being held on a $15,000 bond at the Pickens County Detention Center.

Deputies say they plan to meet with management at The Cottages and other local law enforcement officials to discuss a proactive safety plan. “I am very encouraged by their commitment to the safety and security of their tenants and their desire to partner with local law enforcement as we identify and implement additional security measures to minimize any opportunities for violence,” stated Sheriff Rick Clark. 

This is the same complex where a Clemson student was killed in 2012.