An Apple (product) a day: What you need to know from the Apple Event

Another year, another opportunity for me to cry at my computer screen at the Apple products unveiled this year (and double crying at the ones I can’t afford). But this year, there weren’t that many new products — rather Apple expanding upon what they already had. While this is typically different from their idea of a large revamp every two years, this year’s products and expansions proved that the phrase “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” is BS.
Here’s what you need to know:
iOS: We did it, guys. We’re at double digits. Tim Cook and co. started the Apple Event by unveiling iOS10, available Sept. 13. Right off the back, this operating system takes the grueling pain of pressing the Home button on your iPhones out of the equation. Simply pick up your Apple device and it will turn on. Also included? A big shakeup to iMessages, giving those lucky enough to have an iPhone able to add stickers, draw on messages (a la Snapchat), add effects and more. Android users will probably still be seeing boxes. Other upgrades include a way smarter Siri (your girl can type out your messages in non-iMessage apps) and improvements to Apple Maps and News (ZZZZ…). One out of one TimeOut Editors approve.
iPhone 7/7+: The iPhone 7, aka the only reason I breathe, is taking on a familiar look. But don’t think it’s not getting a touch-up or two. The phone now comes in Jet Black and a special, never before seen, “Black.” Also, as speculated the last few months, the headphone jack is now gone, as a part of Apple’s vision to lead the industry in making phones smaller, along with more wireless. The home button has also become touch sensitive and will have a longer battery life. Did we forget to mention that it’s water resistant? No longer will you have to feel guilty after pushing your friend into a pool. You can pre-order these bad boys starting Sept. 9, with shipping following the next week.
Apple Watch: The Apple Watch also saw a few upgrades, with the watch being swim-proof, along with a built in GPS and collaboration with Nike+. And while I’m not a fan of the Apple Watch, what I found to be the most compelling added design was its new operating system, WatchOS3, that allows users to hold a button on the side, calling 911.
Nintendo comes to iOS: Guys, it’s happening. After 6565165162 years of waiting for them to capitalize on it, Nintendo has decided to collaborate with iOS with games exclusive to Apple products. I know what you’re thinking “uh…Pokemon GO?” but Pokemon GO is not owned by Nintendo, so shut up. The first game will be called “Super Mario Run,” following the plumber as you help him jump through his world. Yes, I’m crying.
AirPods: I’m not going to talk about these much, because I’ve already lost them. To correlate with a headphone jack-less iPhone 7, Apple is releasing the wireless headphones in October. With the battery lasting 5 hours, they can be charged using the case they’re contained in. They Bluetooth headset rival will cost $159 — pretty steep for something that can so easily be lost.